Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Login password not working after upgrade to 10 from 7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

My father upgraded his Acer Aspire laptop to Windows 10 last week and now his login password is not working.  I don't know if he had to put in a password to do the upgrade or if he miss-typed it.  He is forgetful in his senior age but I need to help him.  Any suggestions on how to reset it or find the one he needs?

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TangoKiloRomeoZulu

TangoKiloRomeoZulu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

As I recall, the Windows 10 setup actively encourages use of a Microsoft account, is it possible that during the upgrade process he may have opted into using a Microsoft account to logon? If you can determine the current account type local, or Microsoft, myself or another member of the forum can provide you information on how to reset the password.

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:42 AM

Thank you for the quick reply.  I just talked to him and he does not remember setting up a Microsoft account for this update.  He does, however, tend to use the same password for everything....I keep telling him to write stuff down...BTW, I did ask him if he made a password reset disk and his answer was " huh?"

Now what?

#4 TangoKiloRomeoZulu

TangoKiloRomeoZulu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

Just to clarify, did he complete an in place upgrade through Windows Update, or did he upgrade using installation media (USB/disc)? Are you providing assistance instructions remotely, or will you be able to service the machine?

If the the upgrade was through external media, then this How To Geek article provides a solution, though I don't recommend it, as it replaces Utility Manager with a CMD running with SYSTEM privileges. There's also the Offline NT Password Editor that can be utilized form a bootable flash drive or burned to a disc and booted from there, however, I would not advise having him attempt these steps as they could be confusing. This utility has been tested with Windows 8.1, and would likely be compatible with 10, but this is presently unconfirmed.

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

I have the laptop here and he did the upgrade through windows update

#6 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

I have made the disc and will advise...thanks

#7 TangoKiloRomeoZulu

TangoKiloRomeoZulu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

geno368, since you have physical access to the machine, it makes the process simpler. :smile:

Do you have access to a USB flash drive that we can use to create bootable media, which will allow you to reset the password? If this is not the case and the machine can read DVDs, we can burn a bootable image to the disc and the load utilities from there. If neither of these is a possibility, there's another way that we may be able to access the machine (I haven't tested in in 10 yet). Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Edit: Looks like you beat me by a few minutes. If you have any issues with the utility let me know.

Edited by VigilanteTech, 22 September 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#8 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

Success...Thanks very much for the info and guidance...Kudos!

how do I mark as solved???

#9 TangoKiloRomeoZulu

TangoKiloRomeoZulu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

Not a problem, happy to have helped!

I'm actually new to BC, so I am unsure of the answer to your final query.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

That's great you figured it out, but it would be nice to know what the solution was. Having that documented here would help other users that may come looking with the same problem.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 TangoKiloRomeoZulu

TangoKiloRomeoZulu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

That's great you figured it out, but it would be nice to know what the solution was. Having that documented here would help other users that may come looking with the same problem.

Excellent point.

As a follow-up for future readers, based upon the success of Offline NT Password Editor, it seems likely that geno368's father may have mistakenly set a password on his account that he was unable to remember or mis-type repeatedly (if that was the case). As geno368 was able to resolve the issue, we know that his father was using a local account, not a Microsoft one, as the utility does not support password removal from Microsoft accounts. By booting the utility and following the onscreen prompts to edit user accounts, geno368 would have been able to set the password of his father's account to null, effectively removing it, and allowing the account to be logged into without credentials being required. A password can then be set through PC Settings after a successful login.

#12 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

absolutely...thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users