Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Surges / Blue Screen - HELP Please!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alterelo

Alterelo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

Hi,

My computer has been blue screening / randomly freezing for a good six months now. I have built the computer myself and I was advised that everything was good to go but I'm not too sure that advice was correct anymore. It's surged 5 times in 24 hours now.

Specs:

• PSU:

Corsair CX750 Series

• RAM

Kingston KVR16N11K2/16 16GB 1600MHz CL11 DDR3 ValueRAM Memory Kit

• Motherboard:

Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard** (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, ATX, Intel Z77 Express, USB 3.0, CrossFireX Support, Dual Intelligent Processors 3)

• CPU:

Intel Core i7 (3770) 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor 8MB L3 Cache 5GT/s Bus Speed (Boxed)

• GPU:

Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760** DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card HDD: WD 1TBDesktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green

I used to have a Corsair 600w PSU however this burnt out because of a surge and luckily was the only thing that was fried. I replaced this with the 750w one and bought a surge protector extension which has been plugged directly into the wall. I have also bought " 2 x Asus High Quality Original White Black SATA 3 6GB/s Cable"'s incase it was an issue with the hard drive and this hasn't seemed to have worked either.

Please advise, don't hesitate to say if you need more information

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:10 AM

I would strongly advise a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) as it can only take one surge to do damage. Look here for a better idea http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101419 this is probably more (bigger) than what you need but read through what it can do/save over a simple surge protector.

For the BSOD give this a try http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html and https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh994433.aspx

If it's been BSOD for 6 months (not a good thing) consider reinstalling windows as it could already be/probably is corrupt.

I've taken out Windows with a single BSOD when pushing my OC lol. It can happen easier that you might think and if you add in the power surges well...

Edited by sandman1374, 23 September 2015 - 01:11 AM.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#3 Alterelo

Alterelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

I was thinking it could be my OS. Problem is I don't have a DVD/CD Drive and if I reinstalled it would I lose any files etc.? Or would it be easier to install a fresh OS onto a new HDD and run the OS off of that HDD? Would the system still be corrupt leaving the OS on the other HDD?

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by Alterelo, 23 September 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#4 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

When I install OS using only a single HDD for OS and data I set up a partition (usually 60GB to 128GB is enough for me) and install OS to that partition.

All your data will then be mounted on the larger partition and simply redirect drive locations.

Reason for this is that if there is ever another time of trouble and you need to reinstall OS your data will not become such an issue.

I noticed you're running a WD Green drive, (so slow) as I have two 2TB green drives I use for cold storage.

Instead of purchasing another HDD why not consider a SSD for the OS as prices are dropping very quickly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W02CZ2241

Than use the current HDD for all your data. For most 128GB to 256GB is plenty.

You could install OS to SSD than use either another PC (friend or family member) or another HDD and transfer all your data from the green drive to it (friends PC/HDD?) than format green drive, create folders for Docs Pics etc and transfer data back to the green drive and install into your PC and redirect drive locations.

You don't want to copy/transfer OS as it may be corrupt, think fresh install for best results.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users