Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's That Time Again - Construction Zone Ahead...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

Okay, here's the deal. I was involved in a serious car accident last November. I got creamed, to be precise, by a nineteen-year-old kid who was texting and driving. Put me in the hospital for a while with a few broken bones, etc. The positive side to all this is that I recently received a settlement from the other driver's insurance company - and hubby says I'm allowed to buy some new toys!!

Time to build a new rig...

So, I'm open to some suggestions from folks. I'd like to keep the pricing somewhat reasonable, though I have some leeway here. I'm going to tell you what I'd like, show you what I have at this point, and then ask for suggestions from the gurus here. I'll have a couple of questions on the way, which I'll make sure stand out.

I want power. Lots of it... To that end, this is what I have at the moment, from NewEgg:

Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower  -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119297

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z  -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131876

CPU: AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7 GHz  -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347

GPU (x 2 Crossfired): MSI Radeon R9 380 2GB 256-Bit  -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127876  (I have a question about multiple displays)

PSU: Corsair HXi HX1000i 1000 watt  -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139082

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo  -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099  (I have a question about cooling)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8 GB) (32 GB Total RAM)  -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233536  (I have a question about RAM)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 500 GB Internal SSD (x 2)  -  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

There are a few other smaller peripherals - a card reader, USB 3.0 expansion card, etc., that don't really need listing here.

I'm good with displays - I recently upgraded to a 27" main display and two 24" additional displays. Same with keyboard and mouse - I have Razer input devices.

Now, my questions...

Regarding multiple displays: My current GPU has the following outputs: (2) mini-DP, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI. Setting up three displays has been something of an exercise in finding adapters - when I upgraded my displays, I assumed (stupid) that not much would have changed in terms of inputs. I was surprised to find that my only option on all three displays is either HDMI or D-Sub. Since I've never tried this, I have no idea: When I install and crossfire to GPUs, do I then have access to all outputs on each GPU? If so, I'm good, if not, I need to know so I can get the proper adapter for a third display.

Regarding RAM: What I have listed is 32GB of RAM. My question is, would it be overkill to expand that to 64GB? Or would it even be possible with this Mobo?

Regarding cooling systems: Would it be worthwhile to invest in a decent liquid cooling system? Are there any real advantages to liquid cooling?

And one more question regarding multiple boot options: I presently run Windows 7 Ultimate along with Linux Mint Cinnamon. Is it possible for each OS to be installed on a separate drive, and still be given the choice of which OS to boot to at startup time? Or do they have to be on the same drive with two partitions?

So that's where I am at the moment. I'm open to suggestions on components that people may feel are better choices than what I have listed here, as well as any suggestions for items I may have neglected. I have insane amounts of HDD storage space, so I'm not worried about that - I want the SSDs for a system drive and for application installations.

Looking forward to seeing what others may have to suggest...

Editing to add: Regarding Windows 10... I've been hearing good things about it, and I've played with it very briefly just once. Opinions? Is it worth the $200.00 investment? Or should Windows 7 still be sufficient? (Yes, I know - free upgrade. But I'd prefer to have a separate license. This machine will continue to run the original Win 7 OS.)

Edited by MelissaPleases, 22 September 2015 - 08:13 AM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hi, sorry to hear about your accident, and hope you are recovering well?  Texting and driving is just ridiculous.  Talking into a handheld phone is bad enough but texting...

Just to clarify, is that a planned shopping list or parts you've actually bought already?  If the latter, and this is a personal opinion, but I would reconsider the AMD FX for this level of system (around $1800 I make it).  Intel are way ahead in technology terms, and AMD have not made any substantive changes to the architecture of the FX series since 2012.  The FX-9590 is basically an overclocked 2012 FX-8350 with huge power consumption.  AMD FX have their place, and you can build great bang for buck cheaper systems using AMD CPU's, but I just wouldn't choose them for high end systems.  Check out this review of the i7-6700k for example - http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_6700k_processor_review_desktop_skylake,1.html - which highlights some of the differences.

To answer (some of) your specific questions:

I don't know much about setting up multiple displays with Crossfire systems, but AMD state all displays should be connected to the primary graphics card.  However, I know many prefer to use one powerful GPU (e.g. an R9-390X or Fury X) rather than run 2 lesser GPU's.  It avoids configuration and compatibility issues you may have with Crossfire setups.  Certainly one of those GPU's could easily run three displays.  Assuming you are only using one monitor for full screen 3D, it should be fine.  If planning to use all 3 for 3D simultaneously, then I'd defer to someone more knowledgeable on that sort of setup...

RAM - monitor your ram usage now.  I don't think many "typical" uses will max out 8gb regularly, let alone 32gb or 64gb.  16Gb should be enough for quite some time, unless doing something specific that uses huge amounts of memory (e.g. running multiple VM's or something).

Cooling - The FX9590 was originally supplied with an AMD approved all in one water cooler.  I think it is strongly recommended to use water cooling with that CPU.  With Intel, not so much, unless you intended doing major overclocking.  Advantages include higher heat capacity due to using a remote radiator.  Disadvantages include possible failure of pipes causing loss of coolant.  I don't think noise is necessarily better compared to large air coolers because water pumps can be noisy at higher speeds and the radiators still need fans to push the heat out of the case.

OS - Yes you can install one OS per drive.  I am doing that myself (Windows 10 and Windows 7) as I found I didn't want to deal with the possible configuration issues of a multi boot setup.  I have to use the motherboard boot override feature (press a key when system first powered on) to select which OS to boot, rather than rely on a boot manager.  No doubt GRUB could be configured to handle this fairly easily as well. I believe you would just have to install the GRUB bootloader to the first boot disk, and if using UEFI/GPT partition style, then you should only have one EFI partition.

In case you are open to reconsidering the CPU choice  :wink:  here is an example of a possible Skylake build:

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($231.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1685.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-22 09:54 EDT-0400

Or for even MOAR POWER, a Haswell E 6 core (12 thread) CPU and quad channel DDR4 might be an option.  Bit more expensive though.  NB using a comparatively "budget" X99 board but it seems to be a solid performer, but obviously loses out some features of more expensive options.

Example 2

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($184.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1839.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-22 12:12 EDT-0400

Edited by jonuk76, 22 September 2015 - 11:24 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

There is a lot to cover in this post.  I'm going to split this post into two parts, a build and answering your questions.  Here's a build idea:

CPU:  Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 95W - This is the latest architecture and uses the latest Intel platform.  It is an enthusiast-grade CPU and expensive, but you said you wanted power.  Note that supplies are limited and you will probably have to buy it as a combo.  I checked Newegg and the motherboard I selected is one of the potential combos, you just need to search for it.  $369

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 - The Intel Skylake series of processors utilize a brand-new platform, this supports that.  $299

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 - Skylake has compatibility with DDR3 and DDR4, but the motherboard only utilizes DDR4.  $112

OS:  Windows 10 Home Full Version - You need this, plus it is only marginally more expensive than the OEM/System Builder versions and can be moved between PC's/motherboards.  $119

SSD:  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III - Your build has two 512GB SSD's, I combined them.  You may want to invest in a standard HDD for your data, such as videos, music, etc.  $369

Case:  LIAN LI PC-A75 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower - I prefer Lian-Li's understated design, they make good cases.  Aluminum cases are often of higher quality with cases containing side vents, windows, or fans being louder.  $174

HSF:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - You need a cooler for the CPU.  This is from your build, it should be compatible.  $29

PSU:  SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W - This is overkill for the build, but if you want to use more than one GPU, you'll need the extra power.  You can downsize to something more reasonable if you are only going to have one card, such as the Seasonic SS-760XP2.  $209

GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-2984-KR 4GB - One of the best performing cards out there.  I shy away from multi-GPU builds due to driver issues, power draw, heat generation, and general hassle of Crossfire/SLI builds.  Instead I go for a powerful single card.  If you really want to push the performance, the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti is next on the performance scale.  $499

Total Cost:  $2187

With multiple displays, you should have access to all ports on the card, That's been my experience.  The cards I've selected have numerous ports.  With multi-GPU setups, I've always plugged the monitors into the "Main" GPU.

32GB is overkill for gaming.  Certain tasks may take advantage of that much RAM, but generally, games do not.

With cooling and your original setup, your cooling solution would probably not have worked.  When the FX-9000 series CPU was launched, they often came paired with a liquid cooling solution due to the heat generated (TDP: 220W).  Liquid cooling is good if you are planning on doing extreme overclocking, but a good air cooler will suffice for most people, even those doing moderate overclocking. 

You can use multiple drives for multiple OS'.  I did this with Windows 8.1 and Debian.  It makes things easier.

I like Windows 10, it has many under-the-hood improvements that Windows 8/8.1 has with a visual style similar to 7.  You cannot reuse your Windows 7 license unless it is a full, boxed copy and not an OEM/System Builder edition.  This is due to licensing and how it defines the PC.  The license defines a PC by the motherboard, so, new motherboard, new PC.  The OEM/System Builder copies can only be installed to one motherboard and are non-transferable.  Full, boxed retail copies can be moved between PC's.

Edited by DJBPace07, 22 September 2015 - 09:50 AM.

3939.png

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

Wow... A few nice ideas here - thank you!

The case... I like the Cooler Master. I'll be honest - I like pretty things, and internal light shows are pretty. More practically for me, there's a lot of potential external 5.25" expansion available, and I use it. Two DVD burners - dual layer and Blu-Ray. Fan controller, lighting controls, card reader...

I'll have to get an adapter of some sort, whether active or not, for a triple-display configuration. All of my displays only allow either D-Sub or HDMI connections. I'll need to research whether or not the adapter needs to be active.

I think I'd like to stay with two SSDs. The reasoning is, I'm running a dual boot, and I'd like each OS to have it's own drive. I have a 500 GB system drive now that holds both Win 7 & Linux, as well as all applications with the exception of my games. Two 500 GB SSDs will be plenty of room, and it will keep everything separated to different drives.

The PSU... I'm not certain. I use a lot of power application-wise. I run resource hungry imaging, video, and 3D modeling applications. That's the reason for the RAM overkill.

CPU... I'm torn. I've been a loyal AMD person for years. I'll do the comparison, but something in me says that eight cores is better than four - though I could be completely off base with that. (I probably am)

OS version... I have a full box version that I bought and paid for. But I've always had a policy of upgrading Windows at every other version, and 10 would be the one. I also prefer to use the Pro version, which is $199.00, but I'm willing to pay that for the higher version, and to have that retail version in my hands. I want the old machine - the one I'm on now - to retain the current OSs. And I've been hearing and reading good things about Windows 10.

I don't do any overclocking, so I assume air cooling is sufficient.

Much to consider here... Thanks, and I'll keep you posted... :D

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

With displays, remember that HDCP can only be done over DisplayPort, DVI, and HDMI, not VGA.  This generally isn't an issue with PC's except with certain use cases.

AMD is great for value, not power these days.  The Skylake CPU is significantly more powerful and produces less heat.  Some programs prefer hardware cores, others can use HyperThreading to similar results.  The FX design is not a traditional multicore CPU design, some assets are shared between two cores.  These two cores are form a "Module".  The FX-8000 and 9000 series have four modules.

3939.png

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

I'll have to get an adapter of some sort, whether active or not, for a triple-display configuration. All of my displays only allow either D-Sub or HDMI connections. I'll need to research whether or not the adapter needs to be active.

Keep the connection digital if possible.  If all your monitors have HDMI connectors then that should be doable.  Display Port to HDMI, or DVI to HDMI conversion cables do not need to be active.  HDMI or DP to VGA needs active conversion because there you have a purely digital technology connecting with an analogue one (VGA).  That sort of conversion I would avoid unless absolutely necessary.  DVI-I to VGA is OK because DVI-I outputs both analogue and digital signals.  Most video cards have at least one DVI-I connector for backwards compatibility with VGA only monitors.

CPU... I'm torn. I've been a loyal AMD person for years. I'll do the comparison, but something in me says that eight cores is better than four - though I could be completely off base with that. (I probably am)

I don't do any overclocking, so I assume air cooling is sufficient.

With an FX 9590 AMD have basically taken the pick of the FX chips produced and clocked it as far as they can.  It's effectively already overclocked, and the resulting high heat output is the reason they originally bundled it with a water cooling kit.  Brand loyalty I get, but personally I'm fairly neutral and would pick whatever I thought would do the best job for the situation.  Here is an interesting comparison of the FX vs Skylake on various workloads (non gaming) - Anandtech benchmarks FX9590 vs i7-6700K

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:02 AM

Gaming isn't my primary concern. I do a lot of it, but my biggest concern is 3D modeling and Adobe Premier Pro. Both take a lot of resources for rendering. The benchmark comparison is interesting - I suppose I should consider getting out of my AMD rut and look at the performance.

So at this point, here's where I'm leaning:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 95W

GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  -  (Going to stay with 32GB though)

PSU: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive   -  (x 2)

Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case

The display issue will be fine - since I don't need any active adapters, it's easy: HDMI, DP to HDMI, and DVI-I to HDMI. As stated earlier, I have no need for more HDDs - I have to pick and choose and consolidate a lot of files on my existing drives. I actually have two Seagate 1TB drives sitting unopened in my supply closet, so HDDs won't be an issue.

If anyone has further comments or suggestions, please feel free. I like what I see coming here so far, though. Once a parts list is confirmed and ordered, When they start to arrive, I'll document the whole step-by-step build with pictures and post them here.

Edit to Add: I'll also be going with a retail copy of Windows 10 Professional as my main OS, with a dual boot to Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 23 September 2015 - 06:07 AM.

Snowden03.png

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

And one more question, regarding a WiFi adapter. There's one wireless router in the house that supplies internet connection to three laptops and three desktops - soon to be four desktops. Is there any recommendation for a WiFi card for this build, or will pretty much any WiFi adapter suffice?

Snowden03.png

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:42 AM

Before you buy the components, check to make sure the 3D modeling programs you use can utilize the R9 390X for rendering or computational functions.  I've seen some that prefer Nvidia or AMD cards, but not both.  Personally, I'd get the GTX 980 over the 390X due to its power draw and heat generation.  The 980 and 390X have similar performance though.

I prefer wired networks whenever possible, more so if there are a large number of wireless devices nearby.  With me, the more wireless devices that are within range of the router, the more tenuous the connection seems to be.  Pretty much any wifi card will work, so long your computer has the slot for it and supports the same wireless standard your router uses.

3939.png

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:39 PM

I would prefer to be wired also, but unfortunately, we no longer own. We've moved out of state, and are now renters. In the past, hubby would just run the cables wherever I needed them to go, within reason. I no longer have that luxury, and I would prefer to not have LAN cables running all over my home. He is nothing though, if not creative. If I bring it up enough, I believe he just might find a way to do it. Electrician by trade, so he knows about running wire.

I purchased a retail copy of Windows 10 Professional today. Imagine my surprise, expecting to open the box and find a DVD, when I found a thumb drive in the box! But, I have it, and I can clone the thumb drive so that I have a backup copy (I hope...)

I'm not overly concerned with power draw, and heat generation should be okay - I fill the box with the strongest fans I can get. I have full support and patches available if necessary for newer graphics cards. My software is kept current... :D

I'm looking forward to this - I will keep everyone posted concerning progress...

Snowden03.png

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

For wireless, I'd get a dual band wireless card (preferably supporting the AC standard).  This one seems to get reasonable owner reviews and is well priced. To get the best performance of course, they have to be paired with a dual band wireless AC router.  What I find is some areas of the house get stronger signals in the 2.4ghz band (typically more distant areas) while others can get perfect signals in the 5ghz band.  However, wired technology like Powerline adapters, or in an ideal world an Ethernet cable will be most reliable.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

I live in an apartment too so I feel your pain with wifi networks.  I use powerline adapters so I can get my wireline connections with the PC, TV, and game consoles.  I use the WD Livewire, but there are other choices.

3939.png

#13 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

Okay, I've started ordering parts. It will take a few days, because of daily spending caps we put on our plastic. But this is going to happen!! :D

Snowden03.png

#14 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:36 PM

I ordered the last of the needed parts today - the CPU and the two SSDs. The main components should all be here this week - the only one that may not is the wifi adapter, which is fine, as I can take the one out of this box and then swap back when the new one arrives.

Can ya tell I'm excited? xD

Edited by MelissaPleases, 27 September 2015 - 09:37 PM.

Snowden03.png

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

Sounds like it's going to be a great PC :)

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users