Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sumguy1

sumguy1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:30 AM

Hello, 

Could someone help me interpret my Crystal Disk Info data? I think my hard drive might be failing. 

bGfI8EQ.jpg

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:47 AM

Yes, it looks like the drive is having problems.

Try using the Seatools for DOS bootable disk to test the drive (free from here:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/ )

If you have troubles running it, then try Seatools for Windows (free from here:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/ )

If it fails one of those tests, then I'd suggest getting a new hard drive (and a set of recovery media if it's your OS drive).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sumguy1

sumguy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:45 PM

Hello Usasma, 

Thank you for the reply. I downloaded and ran the Seatools for Windows, ran the SMART Check and it says Pass. Should I be running a specific test? 

Thanks!

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:27 AM

Run the Long/Extended test.  The short test is quicker, but it only spot checks the disk.

The Long/Extended test is the one that'll determine if you need a new drive or not.

BTW - at times the tool will offer to repair damaged sectors.  At work we find that this doesn't usually last long and that the drive usually dies soon after.
But this isn't a 100% thing - so it's your choice (if offered) to use the repair function.

Be aware that it will wipe those sectors that it repairs - and it doesn't care what's on it.

It could be all of your data - or it could be the OS itself (necessitating a reinstall of Windows.

A 500gB HDD costs about $50 (US) - that's cheap enough that I don't usually take the chance.

Finally, once you've installed the new HDD, run Seatools again before installing Windows - just in case.

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 23 September 2015 - 06:31 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sumguy1

sumguy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:25 PM

Hi Usasma, 

I ran the Long/Extended Test. As you said, it failed. Explanation said could be due to bad sectors. Could you help me with another couple of questions please? 

How do I back up my hard drive onto an external drive and would that put my OS on the external drive too?

Also, once I put in a new hard drive, how do I reinstall windows with the external? 

Thank you!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:12 AM

In most cases the most simple way is to connect the external drive and copy the Users folder from your computer.

Make sure that you enable the viewing of Hidden and System files before doing this - as that'll affect backing up bookmarks from Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, some Mail programs, and other programs that store their data in the AppData folder.  Also, for some reason, Quickbooks likes to store it's stuff in the Users\Public\Documents directory (if you need this).

As you're not going to reuse the drive - the best thing is to back it up now and stop using it.

The more you use it, the more likely it is to die completely - and then it gets real expensive to recover your data (up to $1700 to $2000 (US))

This will not put the OS on the external drive - nor will you be able to move it to the new drive this way (the installer has to run to set it up on the new hardware).

If you have an OEM system (a system built and sold in stores), then you can order recovery disks from them.  That's the easiest and least expensive way of getting a legitimate copy for your system.

If it's not an OEM system, then you'll have to have a copy of Windows that you used to install it when the system was first built.

You'll also need the product key.  If you don't have it (and if it's a legitimate key), you'll be able to retrieve it using a program like Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder and use it on the new installation.

#7 sumguy1

sumguy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:22 AM

Thank you very, very much for your help! I have backed up my data and received a recovery disk from Dell. I am going to purchase a new hard drive, then run the repair tool on the Seagate. If the repair tool fixes it without damaging the OS, then it will be good. Otherwise I will replace the hard drive and reinstall windows. 

Again, thank you, Usasma! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users