Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on network layout/topology

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gilligan8

Gilligan8

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:44 PM

I am about to have a rather "different" system I'm putting together.

It will have 6 independent IP camera systems (6 NVR's) with about 40 cameras across them (three with 4 cameras, two with 6 cameras and a 14+ camera system).  There will be 5-8 PC's and VOIP phones with a PBX box.

I'm thinking to isolate camera traffic I should employ multiple POE switches (all cameras and VOIP phones will be powered via POE).  I'd have each NVR connected to the switch that connected directly to the cameras that it monitored.  This would all then be tied to a larger switch which would tie in the phones and computers as well.  I'd be able to remotely log into any of the camera systems and only then would the traffic "contaminate" the rest of the network.  Calls would be minimal as would most of the PC traffic.  The cameras are also not for security or theft monitoring, just for generally keeping an eye on what is going on in their respective regions.

I've drawn up (probably pretty poorly) what I think represents what I have in my head.

I'm also open to suggestions for switches, but I'd like to do this very budget conscious minded.  I've been leaning towards Zyxell switches but not married to them.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

Sounds like a good plan. What are you using for the backbone? Just make sure you are using business level devices. I am not familiar with Zyxell but that doesn't mean anything really lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Gilligan8

Gilligan8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

By backbone, you mean the central "main" (24 port) switch?

If so, then I was thinking of this guy:
http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_services/gs1920_series.shtml?t=p

It's nothing super robust but it's under $500 bucks and seems to have plenty of power if I need it (375 watt POE budget). It's also all gigabit if that becomes a need.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

You want a 24 port managed switch for the core.  Unclear why you have it listed as PoE since you won't be using PoE on that switch.  Being managed you can have vlans.  You would have four vlans: default, camera vlan, pc vlan, internet vlan.  Your pc port connection would have the camera, pc and internet vlans.  This way you can isolate the camera traffic from the data traffic.

#5 Gilligan8

Gilligan8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

You want a 24 port managed switch for the core.  Unclear why you have it listed as PoE since you won't be using PoE on that switch.  Being managed you can have vlans.  You would have four vlans: default, camera vlan, pc vlan, internet vlan.  Your pc port connection would have the camera, pc and internet vlans.  This way you can isolate the camera traffic from the data traffic.

You will notice I have 5 VOIP phones on that 24 port switch.  These are powered via POE.

Unless the cameras are doing a lot of broadcasting (which I don't think they are), why would I need to setup VLANs?  Wouldn't the separate switches essentially do the isolation alone.  Backplane bandwidth aside, I'm also thinking I could run this all on one large 48 port switch if need be as well?

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

Cameras do a ton of broadcasting. Usually you don't have that many NVRs.  I have 96 cameras at our hospital facility and only one NVR.

You're right.  I missed the VoIP phones on that switch.  There shouldn't be anything on the core switch except servers and connections to the switches.

You could do a single 48 port switch but then you need something really robust [= costly] since you now have a single point of failure for everything.

HP and Avaya are my recommendations for switches.  Make sure you buy managed switches.  Even if you think you won't need vlans now you will want that option if you find that you do need them with your converged topology.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

I would add that you want switches that support QoS.  If not using vlans you will need to prioritize the voice traffic over everything else.  You can only do that with QoS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users