Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get windows updates to install no matter what i do

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:37 PM

I re installed Win 7 after trying Win 10 for awhile and everything seems fine except windows update just searches for hours and it finds nothing .

Only updates i see installed are :

kb2534111

kb958488

kb976902

Any ideas

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

G'day herbman, give this a run. There are two options...try #1 first....then if no joy, #2.........then :smash:

Option 1: applying quick fixes to Windows Update

Automated troubleshooter works in all supported Windows versions (from XP to 8.1, support for Windows 10 will become available shortly).
Open Microsoft's How do I reset Windows Update components page.

Click the Run now button in the appropriate section: Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7; or Windows Vista and Windows XP
wurepair2015.01.jpg

After downloading and launching WindowsUpdateDiagnostics.diagcab, click Next.
wurepair2015.02.jpg

The Find and fix problems with Windows Update tool will then run different problem detections and repairs. This usually takes several minutes. Click Close the troubleshooter after the process is complete.
Please note that in Safe Mode the Fix status column will always state "Not fixed" because Automatic Updates service cannot be started.
wurepair2015.03.jpg

If required, restart your PC. After this, you can test if Windows Update works correctly.

Option 2: downloading Fix It tool 50202 to reinstall Windows Update completely

Fix It 50202 works in Windows XP, Vista and 7 only.
If the first option did not help, Microsoft also has the very powerful Fix It Tool 50202 that completely reinstalls Windows Update components. This one is especially helpful in cases where Windows Update is not able to check for updates (for example, error 800700C1) or installs the same updates all over again (several cases with infinite loops of .NET Framework updates).

Because Microsoft just loves to move the tool randomly around (and its site search is not helpful either), I now provide direct download link to Fix It Tool 50202.

Please save the file, do not run it automatically!
After downloading is complete, run the program (named MicrosoftFixit50202.msi).
Click I Agree in the License Terms page and then click Next.
wurepair04.jpg

As you can see, the Run aggressive options (not recommended) check box on Additional options screen is unchecked. I strongly suggest to execute the repairs without enabling aggressive options for the first time - this will retain all Windows Update and Microsoft Update settings.
Click Next.
wurepair05.jpg

In Windows Vista and 7, User Account Control will appear. Click Continue or Yes.
The tool will then create a System Restore point and run the fixes. Some files might be downloaded during the process.
After the program has done its job, click Close.
wurepair07.jpg

A prompt to restart your computer appears. Save open documents and close all open programs. Then click Yes.
wurepair08.jpg

Verify that Automatic Updates, Windows Update or Microsoft Update works. If not, re-run the Fix It Tool 50202, but tick the Run aggressive options (not recommended) check box this time.

After using aggressive options, you must configure Windows Update again.

Using the aggressive options also clears update history, but the list of applied updates can still be found in Control Panel.
In Windows XP, open Control Panel and click Add/Remove Programs. Then tick the Show updates check box and choose Date Last Used from the Sort by combo box. The latter sorts updates by their install date.
update.history03.jpg

In Windows Vista and newer, open Control Panel and click Programs and Features (or Uninstall a program if using Category view). In Windows 8 and 8.1, you can also use keyboard shortcut Windows Key+X to reveal the Quick Links menu and click Programs and Features (the topmost item) there.
Then click View installed updates on the left.
update.history01.jpg

To sort the list by date, click Installed On column once. Clicking it again reverses the sort order.
update.history02.jpg

Edited by Condobloke, 21 September 2015 - 07:57 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

Wow, thanks for all that info , will start working on it now .

#4 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

The one error i keep getting is 0x80070005 ,  i installed the "system readiness update tool" and although it says successfully installed it doesn't show as being installed.

#5 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

The direct download to the fix it tool doesn't work for me and neither does all the jpg. listings .  

Nothing has worked , must be more serious than i thought , anyway appreciate the help.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

See if you can download it from THIS PAGE   

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:35 PM

I tried everything and nothing has worked .   I read somewhere that making sure IE is installed can make a difference , i am almost positive this is not installed when i attempt updates , could this be a reason for failure?

I should mention that i am going back to Win 7 from Win 10 and ever since 10 was installed the updates issue started , never had update issues before.

This is what someone else said , not sure if it's true.

You'll be fully updated in 2~3 days. I think MS is prioritizing bandwidth for Windows 10 installs. Every Windows 7 machine I've loaded recently just hangs and hangs on checking for updates when done manually. 

Edited by herbman, 24 September 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:27 PM

I have seen the "slowness" thing associated with someone trying to do full updates for win 7......but to,be honest I don't think their servers are really that busy with Windows X (unless its with keeping track of the drop outs lol!!).......however.....all that does not solve your problem....SO....personally I would download IE11 32Bit...you can change the system to 64 bit on that page if you are running 64 bit.

When you have it installed.....reboot a couple of times.

See what result that brings.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:48 PM

Well i would have to reinstall Win 7 again and i'm somewhat nervous about it .  Do you think if i installed IE first before attempting updates it would make a difference?

Edited by herbman, 24 September 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

I think it will do No harm....give it a try

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

Installed Win 7 again with IE and did all the troubleshooting steps again to no avail , just not working .   Computer went 7 hours without finding any updates .

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:01 PM

Give this a try.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:32 PM

That was one of the first "fix it's" i tried , did all the others as well , still not working .

Appreciate your help though.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

Have you tried the approach on THIS PAGE     ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:48 PM

There seems to be an update right at the start that i need for windows update for it to even check for updates properly  , do you know what that is?

The second question i have is when you install "microsoft update it shows "internet explorer 8" , should i install IE 8 and then install IE 11 ?

Edited by herbman, 26 September 2015 - 09:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users