Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do looks really change the way people see you?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Hello

We are all different on the way we look and how we dress and act, but douse this change the way people see us and predict how clever we are and how to take us serious by the way we talk, look and act?

Here is my story and what I'm trying to explain

All my life I have lived around Computers, had my first at the age of 4 and been on them ever since I have learnt a lot about them and have a very deep understanding of the way they work, also how they function, my dad was a web database designer use to help him and watch him and my brother when he was young use to build PC's from old thrown away computer parts at dumps, ever since he has been into computers and is now a it technician, I lived around computers and my family and I know how to build a PC what is good and what is bad,

I have played games a lot, and for general basics I know what brands are good, Like headphones and mousses and also PC parts to get, Old memory here I remember having to change floppy disks in the PC to play monkeys island that was fun, I know how to keep a PC clean and simple so you can run the things you need.

Also I have just started up coding because I have done it when I was a kid and I really think its what I love doing as I love computers so much, and I'm saving up for a 4k screen at the moment  haha but anyway there is a lot more I could say, there is so much in the computer world to be said that I know of and about I know the insides and outs, apart from coding, But I am not saying I am the best and everything but I just know a lot about computers.

But what I am trying to get at is that because I look after my body do my eyebrows and have blue hair, dress really like different not like people normally dress, people always think I am dumb and never take me serious, (this apply with girlfriends also different story though),

I get it all the time, are looks and the way you are with people really affect on how people see and take you serious?
This has just got to me a bit, sorry about the over the top in deep stuff I get carried away also I am spell checking this, And read over it to make sure its all OK I might of missed some bits.

I want to know your experiences and what you think on the way we look really affects the way people see us and take us?

Love from smurf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

I think looks matter a lot, Smurf, but the problem lies with the one doing the looking. To judge a person's intelligence on appearance, alone, is the mark of a small mind. I can't see your eyebrows or your body, but your blue hair, just makes me feel that you are a creative person. (So long as you are under 40 years of age. Over forty and it's not so great. ~g~)

Just be who you are. Your real friends understand. And the same folks who misjudge you are paying Geek Squad big bucks to remove a simple virus or install a couple of sticks of RAM. Now, that's dumb.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:33 PM

Short answer - Yes !

Slightly longer answer - Most human characteristics are normally distributed. For example there are relatively few very short or very tall people but a lot of people clustered closely around 'average' height. From what little psychological reading I have done I gather that people in general are more comfortable with other people who cluster more closely around the mean than with those at the extremes of the distribution curve.

And blue hair is definitely right out at the end of the curve - as Terry Pratchett would have said, it has fallen of the end !

Personally I don't think it would bother me if I was in daily contact with you but you have another strike against you as well. I gather you are fairly young. Yup - young and blue haired. Sadly a lot of people will not look past that.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:08 PM

YES.   Everyone sub-consciously evaluates everyone around them and their respective perceptions of threat.  Contact, first by eye, then maybe smell, then speech and maybe touch.  Not always in that order.  We evaluate everything about them and others that may be with them.  Mixed signals can result when a known encounter arrives with some unknown factors.   Obvious or glaring affects can send others on a down spiral of not wanting to accept your appearance to the depth of refusing to acknowledge your presence.  Every one begins observing every flaw.  This is done to see where we are in respect to where we perceive others to be.  It makes us all wary of outside contact and preys upon those who become benevolent and targets for attacks.  We are all victims of our evolution where every event can elicit  a fight or flight reaction.

#5 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for the deep explaining it was really helpful, i think they did a test with like 5 people in a room all different but talking in complete blackness no light and blindfolds, so they could not see each other and when they took the blindfolds of and the lights on they was so shocked to see the people in front of them, one person was full tattooed person and looked really rough all of them have different looks, but when talking and not seeing they built a image in there heads of who that was and it was not who they expected, its on youtube, I tend to dress a lot different also, i can see know why people to see me diffident, I forgot to mention that i use a wheelchair because of my legs are to weak, full body I have one here

ktoFQ3l.jpg

#6 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:41 AM

In the course of my career I have had to do interviews for jobs as medical representatives. Most candidates wore business suits, but some turned up in scruffy jeans etc. I asked some of these scruffs why they appeared like they did, and they all gave reasons that amounted to "This is what I wear and if you don't like it to hell with you" Some said it more politely than that, but is was what they meant. Of course I ended the interviews at once, but some of them seemed suprised. I don't see why. If they were trying to get a job as a fireman they would have to wear a uniform, but common sense should have told them that a business suit is a sort of uniform. Individuality can be taken too far.   

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:17 AM

INDIVIDUALITY   Pretty complex idea there.  Like everything in this universe, there is one of each of every type of heavenly body, just like here on this planet.  From good to bad,  Heavenly to sinful, and all points in between.  One of each.  We all have an idea of where we fit in to this huge menagerie and judge others as to where we perceive them to be in relation to our perceived position.  Then we adjust our opinion before even greeting anyone.  Tatoos and body piercings make many uncomfortable so they are best covered up or placed on the body to avoid public exposure.  For those who look like they fell into a tackle box, leave the junk at home unless with friends, you will be surprised at the change in reaction or lack of reaction.  If you really want a job, you have to present the best appearance possible, once on the job, work your butt off before attempting any cosmetic or ink displays that may be a tipping point.  Remember,  very few really know you and a poor initial presentation will set the tone for any further contacts. 

#8 SmurfonWheels

SmurfonWheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

yeah it just amazed me when all these 5 people blindfolded talking to each other really though each other as really nice people was joking laughing and when they took the blind fold off the image of the person they thought they was talking to, was not what they expected all really different styles that you would categorise if you saw them in public and think to avoid them. and i understand about work :) when i will get a job i will check to see if coloured hair is allowed if not i will go black, and have a suite on, work and normal life looks should be both separate one professional, presentable and the other one well you and yourself, unless you go for a arty job they tend not to mind about coloured hair xD been in the art side for a long time.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,108 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:00 PM

Also in short, yes.  I judge and others have judged me, neither feels good.  It's just to bad we have to judge others.  As mentioned by others, there is a bit judgment that needs to be done for safety, but that is a different story I think.  I try not to judge all the time, and, I find when I am in a good place mentally emotionally I don't judge?  I think if we all strive to be healthy and happy it would help.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:29 AM

It does suck, but the truth is, PERCEPTIONS matter.  Looks and appearances is all about perceptions.

It doesn't mean one thing is true and another isn't.  It's just a perception.   A tall, handsome, sharp looking fellow might be the worst human being you ever come across, while a short, ugly, messy fellow might be the most incredible human you ever met.  

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:47 AM

Our life experiences, however long they may be, ten years or sixty, those events weigh heavily upon the future responses to that stimuli.  Bad experiences by many involve clowns, this seriously effects them forever.  One bad event with someone with a beard can have dire affects later.  Those under those influences don't wear signs or advertise and I know we all have decided we don't have any of those types of sub-conscious influences but they are there.  We make decisions based on those experiences and it is tough to make those changes and accept some who make us cringe inside with just their presence.  Any of our senses is involved in that eventual decision, hearing, smell besides the visual will  factor in before any other senses come  into play.

Edited by mjd420nova, 07 October 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:48 AM

At first & to one we don't know, I'd have to also say Yes. 

However, once I get to know someone, and make friends with, that matters less & the big picture is more important. One can be unattractive in appearance, yet be outright beautiful in heart, and that's what matters the most. Those over 40 will understand & relate to this better than one in their 20's or 30's. 

I also understand in full what georgehenry stated, as one who made decisions in selecting candidates for hire, dress code & hygiene are first impressions & everything. Someone coming into my office for a position interview in sloppy jeans & T-shirt, I didn't waste 5 minutes with. One doesn't need to spend a fortune to look decent for applying for employment, there's a Hospice clothes store just two blocks away & all that store sells are clothes. $3 for men's dress shirts, $3-5 for dress pants or slacks, a belt & tie for $2 each, pair of shoes for $5 & finally a blazer for $5-10. If one tells them they're unemployed & purchasing these to look for work, they'll knock 50% off (& is posted at the register), since it's all donated clothing, doesn't cost a cent. Even the shopping center leases them the building for $1/month. 

Also, I would tell them to dress appropriate for a job interview when they placed an application, by a form that was attached to the front. Dress code for males & females were on the form & the applicants had to agree by signing it. So it wasn't like they didn't know. Coming in looking like they were applying for roofing work or a plumber's helper, I took as a personal insult, and not the first one was hired. All of these applications were shredded by the time they made it to their vehicle. 

However, if they did come in dressed properly, I'd spend time with each applicant, usually 30 minutes, and how they responded to questions & interacted with me would be the deciding factor. Yet personal looks (other than dress code) didn't, as by then I had matured enough to know that not everyone is perfect in every way, as I know that I wasn't either. About 7-8 out of every 10 I selected for interview would secure a position, as long as a medical exam was passed, including drug screening. 

So looks matters, yet it's not everything by a long shot. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 10 December 2015 - 03:22 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 DenizB1992

DenizB1992

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:46 PM

Why can't we all just be gray blobs like the ones from fairly odd parents?

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

Some of us are gray blobs, but most of us put it down to increasing maturity, or at least that's what we like to think.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#15 GRCScorpion

GRCScorpion

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

Hi I agree with some of the points being made. However there is a flip side to the spectrum I dress rather well and speak with reasonably good english for the UK and I get people judging me for that just as much so I would say that absolutely appearances matter and how we present ourselves I believe there is some research papers on that topic, they are quite complex and indepth that a quick google search will reveal. If you are interested in a more acedmic viewpoint. Personally I have learnt in my short lifespan is do not hurt others and to avoid giving a fiddlers about the opinion of most people.

Regards

Scorpion :tophat:

Edited by GRCScorpion, 10 December 2015 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users