Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer quit working.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:35 PM

Pc is a HP-15-f009wm not a real PC 1GHZ cpu 8gb memory 500 GB HDD UEFI

Printer is a KODAK esp 3200 all-in-one. An older printer. All the latest drivers except for the scanner.

None available.

This printer is USB and even without the scanner it worked flawlessly for about 3 weeks[a little more].

The last windows update broke something. Somehow this printer has magically gone from a usb to a wireless network printer that is disabled.  The printer is not even capable of wireless.

No settings I have changed so it has to be the update. Unless trying to disable Cortana had something to do with it.

I see no way for it even to have been changed never mind fix it. LOL

File and print shareing has been turned off from the second day that WIN 10 installed.

Anybody got any ideas.

I have run the windows trouble shooter and the Kodak one as well. No joy and no driver updates are available for the scanner.

Been out of the computer game other than a user since about 2002-3

I need to ad that this is set as default printer and is the only physical printer I have hooked up

The printer still shows as the default printer my earlier issues were with the software printers, I have 4.

Some how the HP cloud printer go moved up in the list that issue was resolved. So I think it has no bearing on this issue.

Edited by dannyboy950, 21 September 2015 - 06:20 PM.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

I think this is going to be a lost cause.  I did some more checking at the Kodak site and apparently support for this thing is no more it was closed down in 2013.  The drivers for this are actually win8 not 10 and there just is no driver for the scanner.

Looks like a newer printer may be in order but it won't be a Kodak. Probably not a all-in-one either.

I even tried reinstalling and setting up the printer. I just can't figure out it got changed to a network printer it does not even have a option to do that and certainly not wireless.

Is this another not so subtle thing to force win 10 users to share.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

If you are going to purchase a new printer, I suggest you do the following:

Go to websites of stores such as Office Depot, Best Buy, Staples, Target, etc. in your area.

Look at their weekly ads to see what printers are on sale.

If you see any write down who has it, the manufacturer/model number, how much it costs.

Then look at the specs for each one. Is it wireless? Does it use 2 cartridges (black and color) or 4 cartridges (one black and one each cyan, magenta, yellow)?

Research to find out how much replacement cartridges are.

I will say that I prefer 4 cartridges over 2. The reason is that all 3 colors are combined in a single cartridge for printers using 2. Depending on what is printed it is possible that one or two colors will run out but the 3rd color ink will still be in the cartridge. Kind of difficult to print a multi-color page if the only color left is magenta. So you buy a new color cartridge and waste what color was left.

Multi-cartridges likely won't run out of color at the same time. It is cheaper to buy only the color you need.

If you find one and can purchase then go for it. If you want to wait, continue to check the sale ads. At least this gives you an idea of what is available.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

I am finding locally everybody has jumped onto the wireless band wagon especially the all-in-ones.

Have not found a single wired/usb printer anywhere and almost no stand alone at all.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

Stand alones are available as USB only. The ones I saw cost more than a multi-function unit.

You may have to go with a basic 3-in-one wireless. All you have to do is set it up as a USB connection.

A multi-function may be better in the long run. For me, those rare times when I have to make copies makes me glad I can do it at home instead of having to drive to a copy place and spend money to have copies made.

I do suggest that whatever you decide to get make look at the specs to see if it is compatible with Windows 10.
If not, go the printer manufacturer website and see if Windows 10 drivers are there for download.

No Win 10 drivers, don't get that printer.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:00 AM

Yup found that out the hard way.  The thing that really bugs me is when I first installed it on here it worked perfectly and now it will not work at all.

The other thing is how did it get changed? It is not even capable of wireless but on the PC it is now????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users