Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI/VGA vs HDMI

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 errorx777

errorx777

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:34 PM

i just bought a dell widescreen 17inch vga monitor brand new off ebay. i also intend to buy an r9 380 4gb graphics card. the card has dvi,hdmi,and display port.

will i notice a huge difference between hdmi and using a dvi to vga adapter? im not too picky, but will it somehow limit my graphics card to bad quality? i know hdmi also carrys the audio , but i have good speakers with a basebox hooked up, so i shouldnt really have to worry about audio

Edited by errorx777, 21 September 2015 - 05:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

On screens up to about 1080p resolution, I've honestly not noticed much quality difference between VGA and digital (DVI, HDMI, DP) connections when set up properly.  There is some maybe, but it's subtle.  Theoretically it depends on cable length and quality too.

In analogue VGA connections to LCD's, the monitor has to be synchronised with the video card output.  Symptoms of this being out are blurry or shimmering text and cross-hatch patterns.  Pressing the "auto" button on the monitor should sync it correctly (in most cases).  This step is unneeded on digital connections - it's always perfectly synchronised.  Display Port is advantageous for very high resolution screens.  Overall I'd recommend using a digital connection if possible, but VGA should be OK.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 errorx777

errorx777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

Thank you, that was actually pretty helpful and made sense. Ill just stick with the vga/dvi for now then. Maybe some other time im the future ill go to the full hdmi setup. But im happy to know i should be just fine otherwise. And its good to know the tip to press the auto fix button on the monitor.

Edited by errorx777, 21 September 2015 - 08:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users