Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I wan't to go back to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:02 PM

So over a month ago, i got Windows 10. After a few months, i discovered that lots of my programs don't work with it and i feel that Windows 7 is better. Now the option to go back to windows 7 has disappeared because it's been over a month. I have a windows 7 disc and my product key. Would it let me go back? or am i stuck with Windows 10?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:36 PM

See the info at Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help

QUOTE:

If go back isn't available
  • Check to see if you can restore your PC to factory settings. This will reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC and remove personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and any changes you made to settings. Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

• If you have installation media and a product key for your previous version of Windows, you can use them to go back. Get the details in the Use installation media to reinstall Windows section of this topic.

Edited by buddy215, 21 September 2015 - 05:37 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:42 PM

If you have your Windows 7 disc and product key you can always do a clean install by booting to the Windows 7 disc, formatting your Windows 10 drive, installing Windows 7 again, and starting over. The operative phrase is starting over. If you choose to do that you will lose all of your programs and your data. If you choose to do that, make a backup before you install Windows 7.

Your Windows 7 system files are stored in C:\Windows.old. According to the article here, after 30 days Windows 10 automatically deletes the C:\Windows.old folder. If yours is deleted, then you will need to backup your files and do a fresh install of Windows 7 on your computer.

Your other option is install Windows 7 as a virtual machine in Windows 10 and run your programs that don't work in Windows 10 in the virtual machine.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

packetanalyzer

#4 FU5R0D4H

FU5R0D4H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

See the info at Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help

QUOTE:

If go back isn't available
  • Check to see if you can restore your PC to factory settings. This will reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC and remove personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and any changes you made to settings. Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

• If you have installation media and a product key for your previous version of Windows, you can use them to go back. Get the details in the Use installation media to reinstall Windows section of this topic.

So you are telling me i can use my disc and key. Great thanks. But will it delete my programs and everything?

Edited by FU5R0D4H, 21 September 2015 - 05:45 PM.

#5 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:48 PM

So you are telling me i can use my disc and key. Great thanks. But will it delete my programs and everything?

Yes it will. That is why you should do a backup before you install Windows 7 from the installation media. You will need to re-install your applications even with a backup but at least you will be able to copy your files back to your computer when Windows 7 is installed again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users