Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Install Another SSD With An Existing One

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 george321

george321

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

I am building a new pc. I have a Samsung 250gig SSD to be used to hold the OS and its program files. Thats going to be about 230gigs with the programs I have on the old pc loaded on to the new one. I think that is cutting it a bit close for extra memory so I want to add another SSD and make the two of them appear as one. I don'tknow how to do this. Can anyone who knows how give me a hand. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:51 AM

IMHO you'd be better off running only a single SSD but larger. Just a few reasons.

First what you're asking about is a RAID Array and depending on the chipset (sb950) is known to have issues with some Samsung SSDs which you already have one and you'd need a match for an array.

Onboard RAID does work (I've run 3 Corsair 60GB SSDs for my OS in a RAID 0 for a few years) but is not as reliable as what we'd hope for the long haul. To do it right you'll need a good after market RAID card plus the added drive/s.

Running an array will lengthen boot.

Cheaper and less headache to go with a larger SSD and either find another use or pc for the current drive.

Bottom line is SSDs in an array do bench higher but in real life (for the average user) will go unnoticed performance wise. The only difference I could see/feel was maybe 2 seconds of boot time.

230GBs of programs? Your not including personal files etc?

Could any of the less used/demanding programs be mounted on another driver?

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#3 george321

george321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

I think I probably have a lot more on that drive than just the OS and programs. I will take your advise and eliminate all unnecessary data from that drive and put it elsewhere. I do appreciate you explainations and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users