Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer lag spike every 10 secs any game

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

Can someone help me understand why I am having constant lag spikes any game I play? It doesn't matter what quality it is either. Everything is the same. Happens offline as well. This never happened when I first got this computer. I know its outdated now but I just want to know what it is exactly I need to do to upgrade it to perform the way I want.

PC Specs:

AMD FX 8320 EIGHT CORE PROCESSOR

8GB RAM

600W B EVGA PSU

GTX 760 SLI EVGA

WDC WD7502ABYS-02A6B0 ATA HDD

The only thing I really feel could be the problem is not enough ram or HDD needs to be SSD now. Any opinions out there?
Thanks in advance. (:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

What version of Windows is it?

#3 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

Its running win 10. Used to have 7 before. This problem stared occurring before I installed 10 as well.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

Changing from hard drive to ssd won't fix sudden framerate drops. Neither will upgrading your RAM, most games don't even use 4GB. Lag spikes can occur if the temperature of the GPU or even the CPU are too high. They can also be a sign of a dying video card, but not usually.

Do you know how to check your video card's temperature?

#5 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

Yeah I do actually. I haven't checked on it but I will as soon as I get the chance. Again though, this was a problem with an older video card as well. Maybe the problem is more the CPU? When I run games, the temp averages at 110--113 F.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

If the problem persists even with an older video card, it could be software related. Have you updated your video drivers to the latest? If so, have you tried an older version of the drivers? It could even be unrelated software that is buggin' out causing your computer to be busy intermittently.

#7 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

I have all the drivers updated to the latest. I will try an older version and if the problem still persists, I'll try reinstalling all the drivers fresh.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:45 PM

Make sure the drivers are certified for Windows 10. Also make sure to remove the current drivers with the Display Driver Uninstaller. It does a better job than nvidia or ATI's regular uninstaller. You should only run DDU to uninstall the drivers, no need to use the official one at all.

#9 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the tip! Will post again as soon as I try this out!

#10 scanel102

scanel102

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

hey sorry for late entrence, did you fix it , if you did how, i am having the same issue with you even tho i have high quality pc :( can you help?

#11 Dream_Eater

Dream_Eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

hey sorry for late entrence, did you fix it , if you did how, i am having the same issue with you even tho i have high quality pc :( can you help?

I did actually. Turned out my motherboard was no good. Lag spikes can be caused by a lot of different things, unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users