Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with pc upgrade

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 johnny15

johnny15

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

Hello Everyone!

I am thinking of upgrading my computer for gaming purposes, (the availiable  budget is 550E)

I have a build in mind and thought that asking your opinion would be a wise choice!

So these are the things I want to buy :

CPU:Intel Core i5-4590 Box

Ram: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9

Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3, or MSI Z97 Gaming 5 , MSI Z97 Gaming 3 

HDD: Sandisk Extreme PRO SSD 240GB

I'd like to keep the psu, my other 2 HDDS, and the GPU

What do you say? Do you have anything to suggest?

I appreciate your help and thanks for your time,

johnny15

PC SPECIFICATIONS

CPU : Intel Core Quad Q6600

Motherboard: IP35 PRO

RAM: 4GB Ram DDR2 Dual channel x400MHz

Graphics Card: ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

PSU : Coolermaster 650W (I think)

Operating System: Windows 7 32Bit

Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2032BW 20’’

HDD1 : Sata II 320GB Seagate

HDD2: 1ΤΒ Western Digital

Edited by johnny15, 21 September 2015 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:22 PM

Assuming the 1TB WD is also SATA, then both the drives and the PSU can be kept.

Question. If you aren't buying a unlocked CPU meant for overclocking (the 4670K, 4690K, 4770k, or 4790k), then why the choice on the motherboards with the Z97 overclocking chipset? Is there some Z97 exclusive feature outside overclocking you want, like SATAexpress or M.2 compatibility, for possible future upgrade routes?

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:56 AM

nah to tell you the truth I am not interested in overclocking, I prefer not to bring my cpu to the limits,

the only thing I might consider at the future is buying a new GPU or another x8 ram.

Feel free to tell me if you have anything to suggest,

PS: Do you thing I should consider buying an unlocked CPU or this one is fine?

Edited by johnny15, 22 September 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

nah to tell you the truth I am not interested in overclocking, I prefer not to bring my cpu to the limits,

Then perhaps you might consider buying a board that's cheaper (as it lacks that overclocking feature). There is no CPU performance difference between using a 400$ motherboard and a 40$ board as long as the board is rated to run the CPU. (well there is technically a difference, but it's within a 1-2% margin of error)

Try looking at the GIGABYTE GA-H81M-HD3.  It has, minus overclocking, almost all the extra features that one might buy a 120$ board for, but at a much more reasonable 60$ price tag. It is compatible with the i5-4690 out of the box, and is made by a high quality manufacturer so you're not losing longevity by buying the cheaper board.

PS: Do you thing I should consider buying an unlocked CPU or this one is fine?

That one is fine. The highest requirement for any game right now is the i5-4460, and the one you listed is much stronger then it. You'd be good for quite awhile by getting it.

I don't think you should bother getting a unlocked CPU. It may seem better since they're only 50$ for a good chunk more performance, but it's not just 50$. Boards that can overclock are generally 50$ over standard ones (those Z97 boards), and you'd need a aftermarket cooler to be able to run it at higher speeds since the stock cooler isn't rated for it- that's another 50$ (30$ for some more value ones). Not to mention making sure the cases fans are strong enough to dissipate that heat. Ends up that to get the overclock version of a chip is 150$ over the standard because of all the extra stuff you need to buy to make use of it.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

Thanks a lot your post was very helpful,

now I am thinking which one should I buy?

A) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128662

B)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157510

C)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128662

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

Um you listed the same one twice. Did you mean to put something else there?

Edited by SEANIA, 23 September 2015 - 02:00 PM.

#7 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128662

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130787
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157511

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157510

these are the motherboards I was talking about,

the thing I am wondering is if I should consider buying a motherboard that supports more than 1600 Mghz or Ram or there isn't much difference?

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

the thing I am wondering is if I should consider buying a motherboard that supports more than 1600 Mghz or Ram or there isn't much difference?

1150 socket intel CPUs can't use higher then 1600Mhz RAM. If a board says it supports more, it only support it through the use overclocking to achieve it. 

I can't emphasize enough how little RAM speed and high end motherboards matter for gaming. All they really seem to be good at is eating your budgeted funds.

In gaming, the measured difference caused by RAM speed starting at 1333Mhz and going all the way up to a overclcoked 3333Mhz kit showed a maximum difference of 3%.You know what the weird part about that was to? The the lower RAM timings of the lower speed RAM seemed to effect it just as much. So in some cases, the 1333Mhz RAM was out doing the 3333Mhz set of RAM in games. 

For RAM, just by the most you'll think you'll need for as little as possible regardless of the speed or timings.  

Question. Big question. Can your current computer case fit full sized ATX boards or can it only use Micro ATX boards?

#9 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

Thats a thing I heven't thought,

As I see here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030 my current motherboard dimensions are 12.0" x 9.6" ATX,

and according to this

I guess it supports then :D ??

my case is this one : http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133154

Please correct me If I am wrong, the way we are going I think I'll get a H97 Motherboard and 1600Mhz Ram

#10 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

my case is this one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133154

Yep it supports it. Is stock compatible with Micro-ATX, full sized ATX, and even Extended ATX. 

Please correct me If I am wrong, the way we are going I think I'll get a H97 Motherboard and 1600Mhz Ram

Probably yeah. Both 1600Mhz and 1333Mhz speed RAM work across all socket 1150 boards. Again, just whatever is cheapest since speed doesn't matter.

H97 and Z97 motherboards are the only ones guaranteed to support the i5-4690 stock. H97 being the cheaper of the two, and the better option if not overclocking. 

All the other 1150 chip set boards do support it, but only after a BIOS update- one that would be impossible to do without first installing a CPU it can use. However some manufactures did make boards after the fact, with the older chip sets, that have the necessary update stock- like that Gigabyte board I mentioned. Those post-update boards, that use the older chip sets, tend to be much cheaper then either a Z97 or H97 board. Hence 60$ for the H81 Gigabyte board VS 84$ for the cheaper H97 ASRock board.

#11 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:27 AM

Ok then!

I am going for H97;) 

someone suggested me this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148945

which one do you prefer? sandisk  or crucial?

That's the final question for sure!

#12 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

someone suggested me this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148945

which one do you prefer? sandisk  or crucial?

That's the final question for sure!

Personally? Neither. They're both kinda a toss-up between each other, cheap SSDs are cheap SSDs, so just get whichever has the longer warranty if any at all. I heard ADATA is a popular brand for cheap SSDs. They might be worth taking a look into. 

My personal preference is for Samsung's 3D nand SSDs, but those are a bit pricey. The 850 EVO 250GB is 110$, and the 850 Pro 256GB that comes with a 10 year warranty is 140$. So I mean....claims 10 years of constant use, but it shows in the price. 

#13 johnny15

johnny15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

I'll get the samsung one then!

H97

G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9

CPU:Intel Core i5-4590 Box

And last but not least,

If you ever come to Greece to a little Island called Paros, remember I owe you a drink! 

Thanks a lot for your help! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users