Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

set up HP 3512 printer wireless Win 7, Dlink wifi router DIR817LW

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 roboat

roboat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

My printer worked fine with USB connection but when I tried to set it up for wifi it lost its connection with my pc altogether, both wifi and USB.

Can you help me solve this problem?

roboat 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

What steps did you take to change it from USB to WiFi?

#3 roboat

roboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

I followed a lot of instructions from the HP support pages.  To be honest, I don't recall exactly what the very first step was. I went to HP with my question and followed their response, whatever it was. I wish I could recall more. I can say that after a while i saw that i was repeating the steps i had been instructed to take. All without solving my problem.

roboat

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

First, UNINSTALL everything related to your HP printer. Reboot after doing so.

(If anything gives you a choice to reboot now or later, choose later. No need to reboot after each uninstall).

Next, start over from the beginning by using the disk that came with your printer. When asked if you want to set up a wireless or USB connection choose wireless.

Follow the directions on the screen as the process goes along.

IF you do not have the disk, you can download what you need from HP for your model here

Choose  Full Feature Software and Drivers.

#5 roboat

roboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

Queen-Evie,
Thanks for the reply. I have not been able to uninstall any of the 9 HP
listings in the uninstall window. They start but then go on forever. Can
you suggest how I can effect their uninstall, so I can get on with the rest
of your instructions?
roboat

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

Why are you unable to uninstall any of the HP components?
Do you mean you start the uninstall but it seems like they are taking to long to uninstall/won't uninstall?

At one point in time I had an HP 3-in-1 and had no issues when uninstalling any of the components.

If you are using Programs and Features to uninstall there are alternatives you can try.

Revo Uninstaller  Run the program, choose what you want to uninstall, then choose which mode to use. I always use Advanced.

After the uninstall if you are told to reboot to complete the uninstall, choose NO!  Click Next to find the leftovers.

Follow the directions on the screen.

With Revo, each program will have to be uninstalled one by one.

Other option PC Decrapifier

Run and choose NO when asked if it is being run on a new pc, choose NO.

The next screen will ask if you want to create a back up. Your choice whether to do so.

Next you might see Nothing detected that could be automatically removed. Click Next.

When the list of installed programs is presented, check each HP printer entry. Then click Next, confirm the uninstall.

This program will delete all checked programs.

You will need to pay attention to the screen just in case you are asked are you sure you want to uninstall.

Again, if asked to reboot after one of them uninstalls, say no and let it continue with the other programs uninstall.

When all have been uninstalled, reboot.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:04 AM

I have not been able to uninstall any of the 9 HP
listings in the uninstall window.

From what I know, there is only one driver for the HP printer unless your Windows 7 OS is installed on a HP computer which might have other HP products. Is your computer a laptop and or connected by wifi?

Tekken

#8 roboat

roboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

My computer is a desktop Dell Optiplex 755 with WIN7 Pro and is connected to the internet through a local cable service.

I believe the driver must be in the program called "Basic Device Software," but there are eight other related programs (some I don't ever use, like Product Improvement, Photo Creation, etc.). I want to clean out everything related to HP so they must go too.

All these HP programs resist uninstall. The Win uninstall seems to have no effect on them. I am now sing REVO. I takes forever using the Advanced setting, or even with the Moderate setting.

When it seems to have finished uninstalling, it tells me there are leftover bits. Some of these bits are in the registry.

I am so unsure of dabbling in the registry that I have not yet done anything in that area. 

I hope to finish uninstalling all the programs and then (with the guidance of Bleeping Computer) do what needs to be done in the registry.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:21 PM

I would assumed your connected to the internet by a usb wifi adapter?

Tekken

#10 roboat

roboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:32 PM

Answer to question asked by jhayz on 9/26. I am connected to the internet through cable service.

From here on, this post refers to Sept. 21 post from Queen-Evie:

I have finally been able to uninstall the nine HP programs that were on my desktop, and at this moment they do not appear in the Programs and Features list. However, as I was uninstalling them I saw that many fragments were being left behind in the registry.

I am cautious about working in the registry so have not tried to remove these fragments without help.  

Now about starting over from the beginning as you suggest, I must tell you that the only HP disk I have that came with the printer appears to have files only for scanning i.e. not for printing.  So I guess I will have to download the pertaining HP programs.  

That brings up the question of whether I should go ahead and down-load the HP software and drivers and install them now or should the left-over fragments be removed from the registry first? 

(Dell Optiplex 755 running WIN 7 Pro connected to internet through cable service provider. PC connected to HP 3512 printer via USB.)

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:21 PM

When I use advanced mode with Revo, I always go ahead and get rid of the leftovers using Revo.

If you did not do that, it might be a chore to go through the registry, find them and delete them. Since you are not comfortable editing the registry, you can skip that part.

It won't hurt anything if they are left.

When jhayz asked if you were connected by a usb wifi adapter, he was not referring the your cable company.

What he wants to know is what connection you are using.
Is it a USB wireless adapter or does you system have a separate wifi network card?

Or is your computer connected directly to the router via ethernet cable?

Since you have uninstalled all thing HP printer related, go ahead and reinstall everything. Follow the directions on screen carefully. Before you start, remove the printer USB cable from the USB port.

#12 roboat

roboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

I am connected to my wi-fi router by Ethernet cable.

Here is my set-up. I get my internet access from a local cable company. The signal from their modem goes into my wireless router (D-Link  DIR-817LW),  then to my desktop by Ethernet cable. My computer is connected to my HP-3512 printer by USB cable.

I recently tried to change from USB to wireless. That is when my problem started. My printer  was no longer connected to my desktop. I could scan but could not print. I could no longer print any of my Word 2007 documents.

Anyway, for now, as you suggest, I will go ahead and download the software and driver for my printer. I will keep you posted as to the effect of the downloads.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

The only way to have internet and wirelessly networked connected (router and printer) at the same time is using one network interface. If you happen to be using wired for internet and wants to wirelessly print either by wireless router setup is using the wireless interface (simultaneous). I have no experience in using USB wireless adapter for the wireless setup if it would work, only by the built-in or wireless card successfully. If you have a working spared USB wireless adapter, try that setup and let's see if we can make it to work. A google search for usb wireless adapter to wireless printer may also give us some hints just in case.

I am connected to my wi-fi router by Ethernet cable.

If ever you have wired connection by access point, the wireless capability of your desktop or computer would be automatically disabled and this is by designed.

Tekken

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:39 AM

I am assuming you want to have the same setup I do, my PC is wired and my printer connects to my network wirelessly. It's not a direct connection, correct? It's fairly simple and works perfectly.

The only real difference between USB and wireless printing as far as your PC goes, is setting the IP address in the drivers for the printer on your PC. I have never personally gone from USB to wireless without uninstalling the drivers/software and starting fresh. So that would be my advice. Download the software/drivers, uninstall everything and start fresh. But get your printer connected to you wireless. See below.

As far as getting the printer on the wireless, it's like any other device you want to get on wireless. You need to find your SSID, enter your passphrase, and let it connect. Then you need to go back in and set a static IP that is outside the DHCP scope of your router's DHCP pool.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#15 roboat

roboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:25 PM

Queen-Evie,

Here us an update. 

I uninstalled all the hp software and re-downloaded it, as you suggested.

It seems my printer is now connected to the internet.. I can send email messages to it and get a printout.

What I still cannot do is print a Word (2007) document from my desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users