Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't load

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:58 AM

I have an Acer laptop that is not quite 3 years old. I bought it with Windows 8 then it upgraded to 8.1 which is when my issues started. With 8.1 if I used "shut down" it took several reboots to get Windows to load so I opted to just put it to sleep every night instead. then Windows 10 seemed to solve that issue!!! Until this morning :(

It gets to the blue screen with the windows icon in the middle-right and there are three icons on the lower right:

1) connect to internet (I clicked that and all it told me that I was connected and it showed various other wifis in the area)

2)Ease of access

3)"shut down" with the options to sleep, shut down and restart

I shut down a couple of times and waited a few minutes, then restarted...........nothing. I restarted several times and it just sits at that blue screen with the Windows icon.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Many thanks once again.

Edited by tobyo, 21 September 2015 - 08:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

can someone please help? this is my main computer and I've hated it ever since I upgraded to Windows 8.1

hoping someone smarter than me can help me fix it. 

thanks for any help.

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:30 AM

I have tried restarting, shutting down both hard and soft and even tried getting into safe mode via F8..........nothing works.

thanks for any help.

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:31 AM

goodness.....there must not be enough helpers which makes me sad. I have relied on bleepingcomputer's experts for years, I think since 2008.....but I have gotten no response from either this issue or my other IMAP/POP3 issue on my other machine (although I think I have that one figured out, just haven't done it yet) that I started about a month ago.

so I just came here to add that this time with Windows 10 not loading is MUCH worse than the way it presented with 8.1.  At least with 8.1 I got it to finally load after many, many, many restarts. My work around was to just put the machine to sleep instead of shutting down since I couldn't rely on it to restart. I get nothing this time with Windows 10 not loading. nothing works and since it's my main machine I guess it's time to pay the money and take it where I bought it. Funny, my first local PC purchase and it's the most frustrating machine I've ever had.

so, one last plea for help from the great people here at bleepingcomputer. You guys must be overwhelmed. Is there anyone that has any idea how to fix my issue?

many thanks.

#5 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:56 AM

You said you tried the F8 key. Did you try the F8 key this way?

Turn machine off then restart tapping the F8 key rapidly. you then may get a pop up saying start Windows normally. Click OK.

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:26 AM

You said you tried the F8 key. Did you try the F8 key this way?

Turn machine off then restart tapping the F8 key rapidly. you then may get a pop up saying start Windows normally. Click OK.

I did that many times with both the laptop keyboard and the external keyboard I normally use to type on that machine. I also tried pressing the Alt key down at the same time because since it's a laptop I wondered if the F keys would work like a normal keyboard and that got me a different result: it got stuck in "restarting" mode with the little dots going round and round in a circle.  I then had to do a hard shutdown. So, yea, I guess I need to figure out how to get the F8 key to actually work. Maddening. but thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Edited by tobyo, 23 September 2015 - 07:27 AM.

#7 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

I'm now thinking F8 is not how to get to safe mode in Windows 10.....still googling.....

#8 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

http://www.7tutorials.com/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

#9 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Beel! So, assuming I can get into safe mode(I'm at work so will need to do this later), any idea what I'm looking for? I only mentioned booting up in safe mode as I have seen that and done that before but after that....I don't have a clue. I guess it would be good if I could load Windows somehow, just not sure what's next.

thank you!

#10 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

Okay Tobyo honestly I am not that clued up with W10 as yet but what I have posted is what I have read from others with a similar problem none so far have solved it. There are many on this site who would I am sure will be able to set you straight and hopefully one will set you straight soon. So mate good luck and I will be keeping an eye here to hopefully learn something myself and read your problem has ben solved. 

#11 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

Okay Tobyo honestly I am not that clued up with W10 as yet but what I have posted is what I have read from others with a similar problem none so far have solved it. There are many on this site who would I am sure will be able to set you straight and hopefully one will set you straight soon. So mate good luck and I will be keeping an eye here to hopefully learn something myself and read your problem has ben solved. 

I'm not sure if that is reassuring or not, the fact that nobody has solved it. If I get into safe mode and that somehow solves it, I will post back here. But I can't use the machine at all now so if this doesn't work and nobody else rings in here to help, I will have to spend the money for a tech to fix it.  I appreciate the help you have given me. Thank you!!

#12 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:51 PM

If you can boot into safe mode, and you have a DVD drive, you can change the boot order and boot from the ISO. Either ISO. 8 or 10. Whatever you have. Do a clean install. If you can just get some kind of Windows to boot, we may be able to figure out the underlying issue.

#13 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

If you can boot into safe mode, and you have a DVD drive, you can change the boot order and boot from the ISO. Either ISO. 8 or 10. Whatever you have. Do a clean install. If you can just get some kind of Windows to boot, we may be able to figure out the underlying issue.

I haven't been successful yet but only had a few minutes earlier this evening, will have to try again tomorrow.....heavy sigh.....

what is an ISO? I do have a DVD drive but Windows came installed on the machine and I don't have a disc for it.

thanks!! 

Edited by tobyo, 23 September 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#14 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:03 PM

Yeah. An ISO is an operating system. It comes on a disc from the manufacturer, or you download and burn one. You might be able to order one from Acer, or get a good friend to download and burn you one.  Dang.

#15 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

well....no luck :( I tried the Windows key + R: nope. I tried Shift and Restart: nope. and the others where it has to get past loading Windows, couldn't do those since I can't get Windows to load. 

So.......hopefully my local place where I bought this piece of crap can fix it without raiding my savings account :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users