Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Homegroup computer popping up in Explorer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flobiwan

flobiwan

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:40 AM

I have computers connected via a Homegroup network.  I use Windows Explorer a lot to organize my files.  On the left side, under the Homegroup section, a computer name will suddenly appear without warning and then disappear a little later without warning.  It appears and disappears constantly and i have not been able to determine a pattern or cause.  My problem is that when it appears or disappears, all of the folders below it jump up or down and, when i'm moving files, i find myself many times moving something into the wrong folder because the tree moves just as i try to move a file.

I do use the homegroup so i don't want to disable it.  Is there any way to keep this from happening without turning off the homegroup entirely?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:40 PM

You could try using a different file manager if you use Explorer a lot. There are some really good free ones out there like FreeCommander and Explorer++.

Many people find these tools more powerful, versatile and less problematic than Explorer.

Edited by TsVk!, 21 September 2015 - 07:40 PM.

#3 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:48 PM

I've thought of that.  I"m just so used to Windows Explorer that it would be hard to change.  Creature of habit and all that.  Still, i may go that route if i can't find another solution.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

I think you would be very surprised to see that the file system looks exactly the same in these applications, there are just more options in the menus.

You might have a pleasant surprise, just by overcoming a little fear.

#5 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:18 AM

You're probably right.  Maybe i'll take the leap.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users