Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Large chunk of space gone from ssd

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lazystoner

lazystoner

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:27 AM

Hello i just realised that about 20+ gigs have been filled up on my ssd overnight, i try not to install anything on my ssd because it holds the OS, can someone help me please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:28 AM

Hi lazystoner :)

Follow the instructions below please.
  • For Windows 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Properties;
  • Click on Advanced System Settings in the left pane;
  • Click on the System Protection tab;
  • Click on the Configure button;
  • Can you tell me how much space is allocated to the System Restore points, and how much space is currently in use by them?;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 lazystoner

lazystoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:31 AM

0 allocated and 0 usage

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:34 AM

Alright, download and use WinDirStat to get an overview of where most of your space is gone. If you want, you can maximize the program's window, take a screenshot of it once the analysis is done and post it here for me to check it out. Also, what is your SSD total size?

mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 lazystoner

lazystoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:41 AM

the ssd is 128g

Attached Files

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

You have 40GB of file directly on your C: drive, that might be it. Do you have hibernation enabled or disabled on your system?

unite_blue.png

#7 lazystoner

lazystoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

i dont now, how can i check

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

Follow the instructions in the Microsoft Article below to disable the hibernation on your SSD (powercfg.exe /hibernate off)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/920730

Once done, restart your computer and see if your SSD space is back.

unite_blue.png

#9 lazystoner

lazystoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

yea that did it, thank you very much. On another note the ssd is 128 Gigs and i have 50 gigs free now and im wondering were the other 75 gigs are because i dont install nothing on my ssd

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

No problem :) Run WinDirStat again and provide me a new screenshot please, I'll tell you where that space is.

unite_blue.png

#11 lazystoner

lazystoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

screenshot attached

Attached Files

• Attached File  123.PNG   971.03KB   0 downloads

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:42 AM

The upgrade to Windows 10 have been downloaded on your SSD, which takes 6GB right off the bat. If we add the total of all the other subfolders, we get around 75GB of used space, most of it taken by the Windows folder, files on your C: drive (you could reduce your pagefile size), Program Files and the Windows 10 upgrade download.

unite_blue.png

#13 lazystoner

lazystoner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

i didnt download the upgrade to windows 10 but if u say so how would i remove these files

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:16 AM

That upgrade is downloaded automatically on systems that are configured to receive Windows Update automatically. You can delete the $Windows.~BT folder on your C: drive. In order to do that, you need to enable the hidden files and folders, and also the system files. Next time you are about to download your Windows Update, review them. If you see "Upgrade to Windows 10", you can uncheck it, then right-click on it and select "Hide" if you don't want it.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-reveal-hidden-system-files-in-windows-explorer/

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users