Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Details On Amd Price-cuts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:33 PM

AMD has just announced their price-cuts, coming 7/24/2006, and they are bigger than previously rumored. Form DailyTech, the details.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

They're gonna take huge losses just to compete with Intel.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

Wow...

Makes me wish I had waited another few weeks to build my pc.

Edited by TheEmuRider, 17 July 2006 - 11:00 PM.

#4 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:24 AM

makes me glad I did wait.
Since the FX-60 is NA does that mean they will be hard to find soon?
I was planning on a socket 939 build with something like a A64 3800 to start and upgrading to an FX-60 when they get cheaper. Now I could either get an A64X2 4600(since the price is like half) or dump the extra money into bigger gfx.
maybe I should just go AM2 since the boards should be reasonable in price by now. any suggestions on an AM2 board?

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Here are some details no mobile price-cuts for AMD: DailyTech image.

Here is also a small image of the Pentium 4s', Pentuim Ds' and Celeron Ds' upcoming price-cuts. DailyTech image.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

makes me glad I did wait.
Since the FX-60 is NA does that mean they will be hard to find soon?
I was planning on a socket 939 build with something like a A64 3800 to start and upgrading to an FX-60 when they get cheaper. Now I could either get an A64X2 4600(since the price is like half) or dump the extra money into bigger gfx.
maybe I should just go AM2 since the boards should be reasonable in price by now. any suggestions on an AM2 board?

I don't see to much going for the AM2 sockets right now. Pretty much the same performace, ( like 1% in most instances ) just faster memory and lower power consumption.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 02:51 PM

Don't be so negative protozero :thumbsup:. I'd say you on average get at least 3% more performance from the faster memory. There is more going for AM2, specially if you're planning to upgrade the processor in the future, since AM3 processors will be backwards compatible with AM2 mobos. But with Core 2 just around the corner, I would be very hard pressed for a reason to go AMD, all things considered.

#8 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:22 PM

This is the story of every time I want to build/ upgrade. I wait a little longer and all of a sudden everything I knew is useless and the picture gets more complicated.

On the bright side my cousin should be able to buy a new laptop pretty cheap since all the vendors should be looking to offload their old AMD and Intel processors about the same time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users