Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox About:newTab crashes Win7 with 0x000000F4

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:19 PM

In Firefox 39, there is an Addon called 'About:newtab', version 1.1.1.4.1 (signed) which I've been using and liked a lot.  It allows you to pick a new tab wallpaper, and then your thumbnails in a set number of columns and rows.

Unfortunately, beginning with some Intel Windows update I got for Intel HD Graphics about two months ago, not knowing this add-on was the problem, FF started to run funny.  Client of mine had the same problem, also using Firefox, so I advised him to avoid the latest Intel update via WU.

For Windows 7 would crash after being idle.  This was with one monitor. After getting Windows back in Safe Mode, then rebooting normally: Firefox was unable to show the menu, but only the one tab, can't size the window nor access any options, as often happens if you let those nasty survey monkey windows pop up.  So, since that was what had just happened prior to the crash, I disabled the survey monkey from being able to pop up, and fortunately could still right-click and open a new tab, then pick one of the thumbnails (thank God they were there) and then open it in a new window, which brought back the menu and all the Firefox controls.

But now, this weekend, it happened over and over whenever a I put a streaming Youtube movie on long pause (long enough for the monitor to turn off), using two monitors, with either Chrome or Firefox being the window to stream the Youtube movie in the TV, which is secondary in my setup.  This has NEVER happened before, and I've had them operating like this often, for years.

BSOD message was 0x0000000F4, which is usually something you sleuth for days to figure out, since it's supposed to be hardware related and semi-serious.  Started up in Safe Mode just fine when I finally unplugged the TV so only one monitor could be used.  Until then, the errors kept changing.

But when starting up Firefox, same problem as in red text above.  So then it had to be the About:newtab.  So, I disabled it.

Now everything seems fine, but more testing is needed.

If it matters, the full error message was 0x000000F4 0x00000003 0x88636478 0x886365E4 0x82E61430 .  I type this out fully, as searching on that error brought nothing.  Only the many variant reasons for an F4 error, which could have cost me precious days to troubleshoot.  Happily, since the Firefox error was the same as prior, I knew to disable about:newtab, first.

Will keep testing.  Hope this helps save time for someone else.

Edited by brainout, 20 September 2015 - 11:17 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

It says about:newtab is not available for Firefox version 40.0. Did you check if it was for version 39? That could definitely be your problem.

9I4f0G.png

Edited by Phantom010, 21 September 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

just to add 2.5 cents worth...I am using speed dial (fvd) new tab page, ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fvd-speed-dial/?src=search)

I am not entirely convinced of its bona fides......i am unable to change the default search engine.....however I can search in the url bar and that uses the firefox default......

as luis would say...FWIW.....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users