Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO Error when booting in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:09 PM

I’m helping a friend with her PC.  It is a HP Pavilion p7-1254 Desktop running Windows 10.  I recently received help with a case about this PC. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588518/task-bar-is-the-only-thing-that-displays/

It is a rather lengthy case.  The problem she was having was only the task bar was showing on the screen when she booted -  the rest of the screen was black.  We made it better by doing a clean install of Windows 10.  After that there were some issues with videos not working properly.  We eventually got them working at an acceptable level and I returned her PC to her. 

She had it for about a week.  On last Wednesday she booted and got to her desktop.  She clicked on Start and she got a BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO error. 

I have attached what I have done in an attempt to fix this error.  But none of it has been successful.  It has attempted to repair itself.  I tried to restore to a couple previous checkpoints.  I tried starting it in Safe Mode with and without networking.  Using Command Line I was not able to find msconfig.exe.  I was going to try to use that to boot to Safe Mode.  Using the HP Startup Menu I ran diagnostics – everything passed.  I saw someone fix this error in a You Tube.  It didn’t help me but the results of my bcdedit and a lot of screen shots from the above work in is the attached document. (I was not able to attach the document so I just sent you a screen shot of the options available in Troubleshooting Advanced options.)

I have her data backed up using xcopy, a Windows Backup (which I guess backed up the same data), a system repair disk, a system image and Windows 10 iso file that we used for the clean install.  All these were created a couple weeks ago when I was working on the last problem. 

I have attempted to do the steps listed in

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

For the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App I copied the downloaded file to a USB.  I tried to execute it from there and the X: drive both time I got the error “The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present”.

I tried the PERFMON but got the message “’perfmon’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file”. 

To answer the questions:

Windows 10 Home, x64, Windows 7 was originally installed, OEM (the PC came from Staples I think), I think it is about 4 years old,  the upgrade to Windows 10 was about a month ago, We did do a clean install not overlaying the data when we worked on the previous problem. 

I have attached a copy of the devices I did during the previous case.  It is a HP Pavilion p7-1254 Desktop. 

I really appreciate any help you can give me on this problem. 

Thanks 

Don

Note: The screen shots (which were really pictures I took with my phone) were too big to attach.  I will work on getting them smaller if you need me too.  Tell which ones would be helpful.   

It would not let me attach the device manager either which I have attached to a case previuosly

I am getting the message : You can upload up to 16.31KB of files (Max. single file size: 16.31KB) next to Choose Files.  I'll try to attach it to a reply to this case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:24 PM

I was not able to attach Device Manager screen shots. They are too big too.

Not sure if this answers CPU but the processors are
AMD A6-3620 APU Radeon™ with HD Graphics

The video card is AMD Radeon HD 6530D

I don't know about the motherboard or power supply

Edit - entry 128 on page 9 of the previous case shows the device manager
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588518/task-bar-is-the-only-thing-that-displays/page-9

Edited by ddibowski, 20 September 2015 - 10:48 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:25 AM

Does the owner have recovery media for W7 (or does the W7 recovery partition still exist on the disk)?  This is just info that we'll ask about later on - in order to decide on how to proceed if the other steps don't help out.

You should be able to generate these reports individually:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:32 AM

We do not have recovery media for Windows 7.  I don’t know how to tell if a Windows 7 recovery partition exists on the disk.  I do have the Windows 7 product key on the sticker on the side of the PC. 

On the D drive I did find a Windows.old file which I understand Windows 10 would use if we decided to go back.  But in the previous case I thought I was told, because of the clean install, we are not able to go back in that manner.    

I do not have File Explorer available so I limited to command line.  My X drive looks most like what I would expect a C drive to look like.  I looked at x:\windows and did not find a minidump folder or a memory.dmp file.  But as I said before I could not find an x:\windows\system32\msconfig.exe either so I don’t think it is a complete C drive.  Also I know I have seen the c:\windows.old folder after the clean install but I see that on the D drive now.  So is there another place I could look for minidump folder and memory.dmp file. 

From X: I did a dir *.dmp /s and did not find any.  I also did one for *.mdmp, and *.hdmp and did not find any files.  Could they be on another drive?

For this link http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html on the X drive I did a dir sysdm.cpl /s and did not find it. 

For msinfo32* and systeminfo* I looked on the X drive and did not find them.  On the x drive I tried msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO but as I expected msinfo32 was not found. 

So I think I have a system that is not fully booted yet when it gets the error.  

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:10 AM

To tell if you have W7 recovery partition - start tapping the F11 key when you boot.

If you have it, it'll boot to the recovery application (I've seen this with quite a few HP's that have been updated to W10 - as long as you haven't wiped the drive clean before installing W10).

You don't have to run the recovery application at that point - so exit it or shut the system off (in order to exit from it).

It doesn't sound like it was a clean install - as there shouldn't be a Windows.old directory unless it was an update (rather than a clean install).

Also, I wonder why it's on the D: drive - when the OS is typically on the C: drive (but this could just be how the OS on the X: drive enumerates the drives).

X: drive is typically a RAM drive (files loaded into RAM and made to look like it's a hard drive) that lets you work on the system without actually booting into it.

In most cases this is what a Windows Repair disk will do.

As it doesn't mount any of the Windows stuff - it's easier for it to work on the files and make changes without having to reboot.

You can check for *.dmp files by searching the C: and the D: drives

Just switch to the C: drive and run the dir *.dmp /s command.

Then switch to the D: drive and run the dir *.dmp /s command there also.

You won't be able to run the MSINFO32 or systeminfo from the X: drive

But, as long as you're at the Command Prompt, please run these 3 commands (pressing Enter after each one):

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /rebuildBCD

Then see if the system will boot.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:26 AM

What drive should I be on when I run the bootrec command?

wait - I found it on the X drive

Edited by ddibowski, 22 September 2015 - 06:44 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:50 AM

It depends on what you used to get to the X: drive

It it's a Windows repair disk, then just run the command and let the path statement take care of finding it for you.

#8 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:54 AM

Tapping the F11 key booted me into HP's Recovery Manager

No .dmp files on C or D drives.

All bootrec commands completed successfully.

rebuildBCD gave the message

Successfully scanned Windows installations

[1] D:\Windows.old\WINDOWS

Add Installation to bootlist? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A)

I replied A

It rebooted but not successfully.  It gave me the same error.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:24 AM

I don't think that it makes a difference, but the D:\Windows.old\Windows is not a bootable copy of Windows.

Is the D: drive on a separate physical drive from the C: drive?

How many physical hard drives are there on the system?

Can you get to the other Startup Repair functions when booting to the X: drive?

IMO it's looking more and more like a wipe and reinstall of Windows is called for.

I'd suggest ensuring that everything is backed up (to include the data in the Users folder in the Windows.old directory).

#10 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

There is just one hard drive in the PC.  I opened it up and looked.  

I am able to get to Startup Repair.  I ran it but got the message Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC.  It did write some files to D:\windows\system32\Logfiles\srt\ directory.

I have only looked at one of them but have attached all of them.

I have a backup of the users data from before.  But will back it up again today.  Is a reinstall something that you can help me through?

Attached Files

Edited by ddibowski, 22 September 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

OK, the reports looked good - but there is one problem.

The version of Startup Repair that you're using is not for the version that's on the system - as such it's not able to really repair anything (although the BCD commands did work).

The repair disk must match the version of Windows that is installed on the system - and the bittage (64 or 32 bit)

You can get a W10 startup repair disk by downloading the version of W10 that you updated to (the Home or Pro version and the 64 or 32 bit version).  Tools and instructions are available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I'd try the W10 tools first - before reverting to a previous version of Windows.

Just redo everything that you've done (with the current X: drive software) with the W10 disk.
In most cases, after you select the language on the first screen, then next screen will have a "Repair this computer" link in the lower left.

No need to go past this, as it'll start installing W10 again (and will wipe everything out).

In particular, run the Startup Repair and the bootrec commands again.

If that doesn't work, then we'll discuss the different options on how to wipe and reinstall Windows:

- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10
- W10 clean install

#12 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

I donwloaded Win10_English_x64.iso on Sept 4 and burned a cd.  Is it okay to use that version.  

And I should have everything backed up before I make the "repair this computer" choice?

#13 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:25 AM

In particular, run the Startup Repair and the bootrec commands again.

One more thing - Why would I have to run these commands if I just reinstalled Win 10?  Wouldn't the reinstall have set these up correctly?

#14 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

Skip those last two entries. I have a system repair disk that I created from this PC previously. I am trying it now.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:26 PM

Duplicate post - I like the next one better :0)

I'm just trying to get the W10 installation working.

These are the last ditch efforts before I suggest using the recovery partition and reverting to a clean install of W7

The SrtTrail.txt file stated:

Root cause found:
---------------------------
The operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair

Which indicates the (to me) that the wrong version was being used.

I would then presume that you might expect different results when using the proper version.

Edited by usasma, 22 September 2015 - 03:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users