Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet speed question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elvy

elvy

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:47 PM

I am not sure if I am in the right place for this or not but I have done some speed tests and I am not getting the speeds I need to be getting.

I am only getting 5-8mbps on my desktop computer using wifi. I am paying for 75mbps and when I do a speed test on my phone in the same area as my computer (so I know it can't be a location problem) I get over 60mbps.

This is the type of network card I have so I should have no problem getting the speeds. (http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=235_TEW-703PI)

Any ideas would help greatly. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

On your computer could be but not limited to; malware, adware, software (file sharing) unsecure router etc. Did you get better speeds at one time? Is your phone also using your wifi?

Ideally you should do the tests at different times of the day and to/from close and far servers. It will vary alot. What they advertise is under ideal conditions- you might get close, its just wont be consistently the same.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 elvy

elvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:59 PM

My router is secure. I do not do the speed tests back to back, I have done them at different times on different days. My phone is always connected to wifi when I am at home. I have no problems with the speed on it. I understand that the speed is not going to be at 75 mbps but it should not be at 5-8. I just did another one and it was at 2 mbps.

I did have someone help me in June to get rid of some things and I did an eset nod 32 online scan awhile ago and it found 4 threats. But I scanned with malware bytes and found nothing. Not sure if everything was removed or not but it seemed to work fine up until now. I was gone for a few months and my parents were on my comp. Maybe they downloaded something on accdent, I duno.

Edited by elvy, 20 September 2015 - 05:08 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

Have you tried connecting by ethernet, using a cable ?

Since your phone seems to be getting a satisfactory service from your wi-fi system it does suggest the problem lies in your computer or possibly in its position relative to your router/modem. I agree, since your computer is a desktop, that connecting it by cable might mean a bit of upheaval or even total inconvenience but it would indicate where the problem lies. but an ethernet connection will almost always give a better performance than wi-fi because of the way wi-fi works.

With cards like this, the aerial sticks out from the back of the case which might be the cause of a poor signal path. I use a USB dongle stuck to the front of my tower for this very reason. The back of my case is against an external wall with the router in the centre of the house.

It would do no harm to run those scans again if the last time you did them was June.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 elvy

elvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thanks guys. That was the problem. It is in this little boxed in area next to the wall and in the back of the comp. I will have to get me a usb network card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users