Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 "Copy of Windows is not genuine"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yellow5

yellow5

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:37 PM

As of 5 days ago I, I started my computer and it gave me the:

Windows 7

Build 7601

This copy of Windows is not genuine

This is the second time it has happened.  Last time I did a system restore and all was peachy.  This time, system restore fails every time I try.  I cannot format because I don't have the original windows disk.  I bought the kit from Newegg several years ago and a previous military acquaintance of mine put it together because he had just finished his degree, through the military, of computer engineering and had a distributable copy of Windows 7 ultimate.  I no longer have his contact information so getting the key from him would be impossible.

This is a legal and genuine copy of Windows but I don't have the key to tell Microsoft it is genuine.  I ran their program to check if it's genuine and it comes up that it isn't.  It says it may be due to some corrupt files.  I ran a disk check a few weeks back to eliminate errors and a defrag to attempt to speed my computer up.

Any advice at this point would be helpful.  Thanks guys/gals.

Yellow5

I included a screenshot of the bottom right side of my screen if anyone needs reference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

You assert that you have a legal install...yet you don't have the license to validate such.

You can use the following tool to see and save the license key applicable:  ProduKey - - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html .

Louis

#3 yellow5

yellow5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

Thank you for the information.  I got the license key and when I put it back in and have it validate an error code comes up.

A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate.  Error Code 0xC004E003.

For a possible resolution, click More Information.

You can also contact Microsoft by phone to help resolve this problem.

I think I will call to find out what's going on.  Something in the communication of windows and microsoft servers apparently changed to cause this to happen.  I will post more information when I get it.

Oh and I tried it with and without avast activated.

Edited by yellow5, 20 September 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

I have never found an active AV install...to have any effect at all on running other tasks on any version of Windows I have installed.  This includes programs which indicate that a running/active AV may cause problems when installing.

Louis

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:13 PM

Once I had that happen to me after a windows update and reboot. Then after another reboot or two it went away.

#6 TangoKiloRomeoZulu

TangoKiloRomeoZulu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:19 PM

Typically I've only seen this issue when users are using volume license keys, which require KMS activation. As I'm on mobile presently, I've pulled some troubleshooting steps for you to complete off of Microsoft Answers. Since you're already planning on calling Microsoft, lets start with the automated system, to potentially save a lengthy support call.

Use the automated phone system to get Windows activated.

1. Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4
2. Press ENTER on your Keyboard
3. Select your Country.
4. Follow the on screen instructions and get the Windows activated.

If the above steps fail to activate, then the Licensing Store may be corrupted. Try the following steps and check.

1. Click on Start and type cmd.exe.
2. Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
3. Type: net stop slsvc (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
4. Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
5. Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
6. Type: cd %windir%\system32
7. Type: net start slsvc
8. Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
9. Restart your computer twice.
10. You may be required to enter the Product Key and/or Activate.

Edited by VigilanteTech, 22 September 2015 - 11:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users