Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Install windows 10 final over windows 10 insider on a duel boot system?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jleon1

jleon1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

I duel installed windows 10 insider on "E" by splitting my "C" drive that had windows 8 when it became available. Now I need to install the final version of windows 10 on my "E" drive over the insider version because windows is prompting me that my version will soon expire. For some reason the insider updates haven't been keeping me up to date, and when I try to manually update I get a "something wrong with my account error". (there is nothing wrong with my account) When I try to install the final iso windows doesn"t give me the option to designate the "E" drive as the install destination. I tried once before but windows 10 over wrote my windows 8 on "C" (OMG!). I get the "something went wrong...error 0x80860006" when I try to use the media creation tool. How do I force install the final windows 10 iso on to my "E" drive over the existing insider version? Sorry this was so long.  jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

Do you have two separate licenses for Windows? If not, just do a clean install from your Windows 10 ISO and reformat the hard drive and wipe out both of your current Windows systems. Just follow the prompts when you load the ISO DVD or USB.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 jleon1

jleon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for posting,
In regards to weather I "have two separate licenses" the answer is yes, I have several computers loaded with windows 8.1 that were left over from closing my business. As for "doing a clean install from your Windows 10 ISO and reformat the hard drive and wipe out both of your current Windows systems", this is exactly what I don't want to do. I want to keep windows 8 as it is for now because several programs I use are not totally compatable with windows 10. I have painfully discovered that when you try to install windows 10 ISO on to (or from) a duel systems "E" drive, you are not given the opportunity to designate where that install will be installed. The installation will automatically overwrite your files and programs onto the "C" drive. When I did this on another computer I could not recover the files and programs not saved on the windows.old folder. I have already backed up my "C" drive in case this happens again, but all I want to do is upgrade Windows 10 final on my "E" drive....

#4 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:30 PM

You have to do an Advanced install and select the correct partition.

http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

Edited by pistol22cal, 22 September 2015 - 11:32 PM.

I Love Lamp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users