Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Overheating Issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Angelbaaby

Angelbaaby

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:50 AM

I have a Abit KD7 MB I run an AMD athlon XP 2200+ 1.8 GHz 512 MB ram I also have onboard sound and a GForce 4 MX 440 128 MB graphics card. I play a lot of games on here that are intense in textures. About a month ago 1 of my games SoF2 started crashing on me with a windows error. I uninstalled the game a total of 6 times over the course of a month with no avail. I just did a complete reformat of my system and now everyone of my games are crashing with the same type of windows error. I recently installed SISoftware Sandra 2002 Plus. The first thing that caught my attention was that my MB was reading a high temp. By opening the side panel and using a house fan on it I can keep the temp controlled. This does not affect any other type of programs or applications. How do I solve this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:15 AM

How many case fans are available on your case?

I am by far not an expert on computer cooling, but this is what I know from my experiences and research when i ran into a similar problem in the past.

I was told to buy the round floppy/ide cables because the ribbon cables can tend to block air flow throughout the inside of the case.

I was also told to get a higher output fan for both the front and back of the case. THe back fan would blow the air out and the front fan would suck cooler air in. Both fans should be rated at the same speed so you do not create an unbalanced pressure system within the case.

At the same time you want to make sure that the front fan that is sucking in the air, is eleveated off the floor a bit so dust is not sucked in as well.

Hope this helps somewhat :thumbsup:

#3 Angelbaaby

Angelbaaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:45 PM

i have a fan on the power supply 1 on the heatsink 1 on the MB and 1 on the case

#4 lurgie

lurgie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

What is the M/B temp, and are the voltages correct? Clean out all dust from the inside and clean all fan blades.
What is the exact Windows error you're getting?

#5 Angelbaaby

Angelbaaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:02 PM

the error i get is only while i playing games. It is a windows standard message it states the file normally the game exe file has encounterd an error and something about having to shutdown the program. Then i have the option to report the error or not. Not sure of exact wording but you know the one. I jusdt installed a program to check the exact temps called Motherboard monitor at resdting with no games my cpu runs at 32c and the case at 39c. ti jumps at least up by 20 degrees while just getting into a game alone and the case up 15 and thats not even im play.

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:52 PM

it doesnt seam like a heat problem although you can use a couple more fan's. I have 7 case fans and Idle temps are 26c and underheavy load (playing farcry, digital editing) goes about to 60c and mine is overclocked by 600mgz. Have you checked the game's website for a pacth? It may well just be the game.

to get the message

Right click my computer...Left click manage...Click on Event viewer..there click on application..it should show what is happening when the proggy shut's down.

And some advice about Sandra...The prgram always tells me my cpu is running at 285 f, which is impossible And Abit and asus boards always show they are running hotter than they actually are. Best way to tell if it heat related is run this program it will tell you if heat is a problem.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Prime 95 let it runs for about 2 hours and if your pc reboots then its is overheating if not its the game or somthing else

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

I have a Abit KD7  MB I run an AMD athlon XP 2200+ 1.8 GHz 512 MB ram I also have onboard sound and a GForce 4 MX 440 128 MB graphics card.

I have a similar arrangement:

MSI K7N2G-L motherboard running AMD athlon XP 2100+ 1.73 GHz 480 ram with onboard sound. ( there is a nVidia IGP, and I guess that brings the 512 ram down to 480)

Heating was a issue for me, also.

I have 1 front case fan, 1 side case fan, the power supply fan and I replaced the cpu fan on the MB with a "Slim Volcano 8", (although I'm not sure I had to)

I use the round cables Grinler mentioned, but not in all locations

I checked around, and am told the AMD's run hot. Mine is typically:
  • 56-60 C cpu
  • 36 C system
I get these numbers by accessing BIOS (press delete repetitiously at reboot before you see windows start...press down arrow to get to the bottom left listing "PC Health Status" press enter and view the statistics...see the bottom of your screen for exit information...I usually F10)

here's some links:

those are "technical" pages, but you'll get the point.

maxtemp
chare/elec.htm

Brunt, I downloaded/installed Prime95. I don't quite get it yet, I'll check into it furthor, later
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:41 PM

phawgg Prime 95 is a Burn in tool that takes your cpu to it's limit. It is mostly to burn in a cpu to overclock it but can be used to detect error's if it encounters one while it is running It will tell you.

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:45 PM

Here I took a screenshot you have to click torture rest and see if it come up with any error's it will run 24 hours a day if you let it but dont let it run for about 2 hours it will tell you if you have any errors

ScreenShot

Edited by brunt, 19 July 2004 - 03:46 PM.

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

I learn something new everyday.

I've had task manager open to performance tab while spy-bot runs and it takes the cpu to the limit, unlike most other apps. Made me curious...
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#11 Haus

Haus

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

Hello Angelbaby
I do not think you have a heating problem. I run at a steady 52c-cpu & 38c-case with 1 processor fan, 2-80mm intake & 1 horizontal exhaust.
Here is a link that will take you to AMD's max. thermal & electrical spec's.

http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/assets/content_ty...ion_Rev_ENG.pdf

Have you tested your ram, possible bad chip.

#12 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:59 AM

Haus has a good point here is a great program let it run untill it at lest reaches 200% try to close out most of the programs so it can test as much ram as possible

http://www.memtest86.com/#download1

#13 dudeman

dudeman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:04 AM

Are you running windows xp? have you tried running the game in compatiblity mode for me/98? another reason is your on board graphics card. it might be too much stress for your northbridge. I have had similar problems in the past like yours. might be a few things you could try out :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users