Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"error Loading Operating System"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Inferno

Inferno

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

Ok. Not very happy right now.

When I boot up my pc, it immeadiatly (or almost) jumps to black screen stating "Error loading operating system" nothing more, nothing less. Right before I got this message, I had BSOD "Driver IRQL not less or equal". The only changes to my system were opening my external hard drive to clean it. I am looking for a remedy to make this drive, os and all, useable again. Please dont repost saying reformat. That wont be of much help. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:42 PM

Well first do you have the Windows install software for your computer?

#3 Inferno

Inferno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

No I dont.

#4 Inferno

Inferno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

Update: When I turn on by external hd, nothing happens. A black screen with the blinking underscore.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

Disconnect the external CD from the computer and try to boot.

What happens?

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:41 PM

Do you have a recovery partition on your computer? If you do not have the Windows install software of any kind then it is not to possible to be able to help you and besides from what I have been told you are not legal without it anyway.

I am sorry but I do not think my fix will work and if you tried it your computer will not function properly and I can not allow this so I am going to leave this thread to some one who can help that does not need the legal Windows software.

#7 Inferno

Inferno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:04 PM

It is legal, and I now have the disks.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:05 AM

Do you have a Microsoft Windows Installation Disk or a manufacturer's restore disk?

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

Ok So it is legal. The email was not really necessary but here goes the fix.

First you might have to take the hard drive and install it in another computer as a slave drive and then backup all of your important data to another media like CD-R's or DVD. Once this is done I then would take the hard drive back to the original computer as a master on the primary cavle where it came from and then do a total restore to day one since it seems that you have recovery disks. It may be possible to do a repair-install which is a non-destructive re-installation of Windows and supposedly will not damage any of your data, but with Windows who can tell - backup data anyway.

After this is done all you have to do is re-install all app's and you backed up data and you are all set.

If these disks are not the correct ones for this computer please do not use them they will not work correctly.

#10 Inferno

Inferno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

Will try. Thanks. Wondering if I can do your fix with external enclosure?

To enthusiast: Desktop. Yes, I do have the disk.

Edited by Inferno, 18 July 2006 - 08:51 PM.

#11 Inferno

Inferno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

New Problem: Tried the repair install, and a partition manager came up instead. I have 34605 mb on my hd, 34604 free. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to post it. Otherwise, its a lost cause.

#12 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:39 PM

at what point do you get the partition manager? also after the repair do you have service pack 2 installed on the machine?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

If the partition manager came up it sounds like you had it try to do a full install and reformat.

Try again, and the first time it asks which install do not select the repair - it will give you the repir console.

The second time it gives you the choice select repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users