Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

i am looking for a good backup program

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:27 AM

good morning to all,

i have decided to backup all my data from two different hard disks onto a brand new usb external 1 terra disk (verbatim store n go 1 terra)

till know i just transfer my data from my pc hard disk to the other hard disk by copy and paste

many times when i am trying to transfer my files with copy and paste i have strange issues like locked files and run out of space (1 terra is not enough to transfer 680 gb data ?)

a good idea also is to use a clone image software but i am afraid to say that i will be run out of space

i have been told that nero backup software that it came with my verbatim drive is not so good for any secure backup but is ok for casual backup

my files are mainly audio/video and bryce 3d projects, emails, web pages various technical related pdf documents

many thanks in advance

Edited by nickko, 20 September 2015 - 01:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

For those video/audio/3d/emails/webpages/pdf files your best bet is to copy them across manually folder by folder, if they won't go all at once go by copying them sub-folder by sub-folder. Right click on the files and "send to" your external HDD. Then in future at the end of each day plug in the external drive and copy onto it all the new files you've made or edited than day.

Can you give more details about these "locked files" and "running out of space", is this because you are trying to copy your whole hard-drive ( all of C:\ ), which doesn't all need copying, only your personal files and folders need copying. Another issue you might have is the formatting of the external HDD, if it's set up in fat32 format then you won't be able to copy onto it any INDIVIDUAL file larger than 4GB, you can reformat the external drive to NTFS to get around this. Make sure that any data currently stored on that external drive is backed up somewhere else befpre you format it.

Alongside backing up your files backing up your system is also very important, this is called making a system image, windows has internal tools for this under "windows 7 file recovery" or "file history" in control panel. This can als be done with macrium, which provides a free program for making system images. You should make a few system images but you don't need to keep making them regularly, you can just keep a few old and good ones. When you need to backup new files, or altered files, don't use a system image, just copy those inidividual files manually.

Manual copying to external media is the easieast way to backup files, Whereas a system image backs up the whole state of your computer (all your installed programs, your operating system settings, the settings of all your instaled programs...) as a snapshot in time you can return to in case of disaters. A system image is a bit like a disc with which to reinstall your OS, only a system image reinstalls the OS in the configuratiion you like it, with all your programs installed, rather than in the default configuration with no programs.

Edited by rp88, 20 September 2015 - 11:47 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 09:13 AM

good afternoon dear rp88 and i thank you so much for your detailed reply !

the files that seems to be locked are mostly web pages with various infos and reviews, in safe mode i cal copy and paste those files but it not really a convenient way

i am afraid to say that if i copy my entire disk as an image i will run out of space...

the partition of my external hard disk is ntfs so there is not problem with larger files

i think a good backup software will help a lot especially if it can backup on a daily or weekly basis

thanks

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

I do a lot of audio/video work with my computer and at present I have approx. 4 terabytes of data hooked to my computer which I copy regularly. I actually have the original 4 terabytes and a redundant 4 terabytes hooked to my system simultaneously as well  as an extra copy in the closet and an extra copy at my daughter's house. Because I am constantly working on different projects I am constantly updating my various copies. For me it is much safer and easier to just drag and drop my files from one hard drive to another. I am sure I get mirror images by doing it this way.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

good afternoon dear Rocky Bennett

yes, i agree with you and i have the same experience with those large video/audio files

i still want a good backup software with some automation features

#6 TangoKiloRomeoZulu

TangoKiloRomeoZulu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

nickko, based on your desires you may want to check out the free edition of CrashPlan, which will let you back up to an external drive with some automation. You can view more info regarding it here. Another option would be Veeam Endpoint Backup, which will allow you to backup your machine to an external for free. You can check out more information on Veeam here.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

+1 on the CrashPlan suggestion. I use the paid version personally. But I know others who use the free version and are happy with it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:18 PM

Although I mostly do OS and data imaging, I have and use: Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect, both can do imaging, differential and incremental folder & file backups.  I have the paid versions because of additional USB/DVD boots for bypassing C-drive or C-partition-booting Windows when necessary.  In the long run, develop, tweak, routinely systematically do restorable backups and you'll be fine.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 September 2015 - 10:48 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

good afternoon to all

many thanks to all for the give links and for the other very good infos !!!

dear VigilanteTech i will check the program you have suggesed

dear Animal thanks for the given links it seems very nice program

yes, i know acronis dear RolandJS and i thinki is withing my budget !

many thanks again to all

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:49 AM

Check pricing, features, benefits, etc.,  for both Acronis and Macrium  :)   Get whatever you believe will serve you best.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

hi dear RolandJS

i thank you for your kind reply

only today i could login because i had formatted my hard disk

too much work... 

please, let me ask a question regarding acronis true image

can i copy my entire hard disk (partition c) a single image including windows xp (system files) and all my programs and after to restore that image on a formated drive

i understand that this procedure will take some hours to be finished (copy image of partition c about 12 gb) but it would be really nice

thanks in advance

Edited by nickko, 26 September 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

can i copy my entire hard disk (partition c) a single image including windows xp (system files) and all my programs and after to restore that image on a formated drive

Do you want to create an image (Windows,Programs) to restore to that particular state or snapshot where everything is working? Please clarify next time.

Tekken

#13 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:41 AM

good morning dear jhayz

yes

if i can do this will be just fine

thanks

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

You can use the free editions of either Macrium, Easus Todo, AOEMI or Paragon. The image backup is usually compressed for space saving purposes.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

http://www.aomeitech.com/

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

Tekken

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

Nickko -- I just now logged on and saw your question about Acronis True Image.  For now, follow the poster's advice who gave you a nice list of free backup/restore programs -- many are a bit easier to use than Acronis.  jhayz gave a list - each one on that list can do what you would like to do.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 September 2015 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users