Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

utorrentie.exe Removal Question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 zlloyd1

zlloyd1

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:08 AM

I keep getting a background program running on my computer that I do not recognize, and keeps coming back no matter how many times I delete the file.... :nono:

The process, which keeps reinstalling itself, is called Web Helper, and originates at a file called utorrentie.exe from within the Bittorent folder. I have tried to find the program in Control Panel to uninstall, but it is not there, and yet it is still constantly running in the background. :censored:

I have gone to the file location and manually deleted it several times, but it keeps coming back for some reason every time I open Bittorent?? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Can anyone explain to me how to get rid of this for good please??

Thanks in advance!! :thumbsup: :woot: :woot: :thumbsup:

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2015 - 11:08 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:01 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

Did you try running  AdwCleaner as it was suggested to you in the Windows Seven Forums?

Several  websites have categorized this as Adware.  

Please do the following.

Please run Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  After clicking on the link the download will start automatically.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  If this is the first time you have run this version of Malwarbytes you will see an image like the one below.

mbam1_zps95cc812c.png

Click on Update Now, after Malwarebytes is updated click on Scan.

If this isn't the first time you have run this version, then you will see an image like the one below.  Click on Scan

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

You will be prompted to update Malwarebytes, to do so click on Update Now.

mbam2_zps85f38f0c.png

3)  The scan will automatically run now.

malwarerun_zps9abd4ef1.png

4)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

malwarenew_zps34b58fdc.png

5)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log in your topic.

================

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

================

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

•  
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

================

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to allow this to run till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

ESET Online Scanner

• Click here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.
  • Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.
  • Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats (only available if ESET Online Scanner found something).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

Edited by dc3, 20 September 2015 - 11:01 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 danielocdh

danielocdh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

Apparently the file is an uTorrent helper. I deduced this from the process command line on task manager (besides the name ofc)

So it might be that it isn't something bad, doing a search on google for

"utorrentie" site:utorrent.com

vaguely tells you what it is, there are probably ways to block it but all I can think of is very intricate, any ideas?

#5 rogerthelms

rogerthelms

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:34 AM

utorrentie.exe is a useless file that though looks legitimate but it works like a connecting link between your PC and cyber cribbers servers. To know details on what is utorrentie.exe and how to remove it then you may visit

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 November 2015 - 10:06 AM.
Link deleted, product not advised.

#6 carlosk2000

carlosk2000

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

I also tried all those antivirus, antimalware and adware software. 
None of then was (is) capable of detecting neither deleting UTORRENTIE.EXE.
It keeps appearing everytime I open UTORRENT.EXE.

I got tired, so backed up my important files and restore my netbook to his original factory settings from the recovery partition. 

Cheers, 

Carlos-

Also....  no more UTORRENT or anything related to BIT TORRENT.
It seems to me that is the source of the trojan.

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2015 - 12:32 PM.

#7 anonymoususer0

anonymoususer0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

Hi guys, 

I don't expect this should alarm people. If you are using the free Utorrent, then you probably see ads. I'm rather certain these ads are directly related to utorrentie.exe. See for yoursleves by ending each Utorrentie.exe process and watch the ads disappear. After a couple of seconds, they are called on again by the client, so that the user starts getting the ad impressions again.

You can get rid of these by upgrading or doing...other things.

#8 rio66

rio66

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:16 AM

I delete files, I can't delete from windows using safe mode with cmd.

Here is how you can do it : http://smallbusiness.chron.com/force-delete-windows-command-line-54175.html

Instead of choosing safe mode, choose "Safe Mode with Command Prompt "

Helped me delete a few viruses I couldn't get rid of. Hope this helped someone.

#9 diis

diis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:32 PM

This is indeed the ad helper app for uTorrent, but alarmingly uses as much or more processor / memory than uTorrent itself. The solution I found was to Deny permissions to users for the app.

With uTorrent RUNNING:

1) Ctrl+Alt+Delete

In the running processes, right-click on utorrentie.exe (Windows 7) or webhelper (under background processes, windows 10) and click "Open File Location." 

2) Right-Click on utorrentie.exe (or webhelper), click properties, go to the security tab.

3) Click on Edit, and click on Deny for "Full Control" on all of the users listed (including SYSTEM).

4) Go back to task manager and kill all instances of utorrentie.exe or webhelper

Congrats! No more Ads, and uTorrent no longer bogs down your computer!

-diis

#10 Chjapa

Chjapa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:15 AM

This is indeed the ad helper app for uTorrent, but alarmingly uses as much or more processor / memory than uTorrent itself. The solution I found was to Deny permissions to users for the app.

With uTorrent RUNNING:

1) Ctrl+Alt+Delete

In the running processes, right-click on utorrentie.exe (Windows 7) or webhelper (under background processes, windows 10) and click "Open File Location." 

2) Right-Click on utorrentie.exe (or webhelper), click properties, go to the security tab.

3) Click on Edit, and click on Deny for "Full Control" on all of the users listed (including SYSTEM).

4) Go back to task manager and kill all instances of utorrentie.exe or webhelper

-diis

I'll give this a try. Thanks! UPDATE...Didn't work.

Edited by Chjapa, 11 January 2016 - 02:01 AM.

#11 ab123ga

ab123ga

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

I ran into this as well and I tried what DIIS noted and that did not work. Because I found the folder that the malware would drop the utorrentie.exe file what I did was I stopped utorrent then went to the folder (the folder for me is below) deleted the executable utorrentie.exe  and I changed all of the security permissions to deny for ALL users even admins for the folder. After changing the permissions I can't even go into the folder to see if the file is back. I restarted utorrent, I ran Windows Task Manager and after 20 minutes no utorrentie (webhelper) running and NO ads :)

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\updates and select the latest update folder. Also, in utorrent, turn off program updates in permissions. If you don't the system will create a new update folder and but utorrentie.exe in that one.

Edited by ab123ga, 14 January 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#12 Chjapa

Chjapa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:34 AM

I ran into this as well and I tried what DIIS noted and that did not work. Because I found the folder that the malware would drop the utorrentie.exe file what I did was I stopped utorrent then went to the folder (the folder for me is below) deleted the executable utorrentie.exe  and I changed all of the security permissions to deny for ALL users even admins for the folder. After changing the permissions I can't even go into the folder to see if the file is back. I restarted utorrent, I ran Windows Task Manager and after 20 minutes no utorrentie (webhelper) running and NO ads :)

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\updates and select the latest update folder. Also, in utorrent, turn off program updates in permissions. If you don't the system will create a new update folder and but utorrentie.exe in that one.

Thanks for the response. I just tried it we'll see how it goes. I would just dump BitTorrent and use Deluge exclusively but it's such a pain transferring the torrents. 

#13 ab123ga

ab123ga

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:46 AM

So far no reoccurrance of utorrentie. Utorrent is also not lagging as it has been with webhelper errors etc. If it comes back I may look into that.

Thanks 

#14 HSJones

HSJones

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

Bingo!  That solved the problem for me.  Thank you!  :)

Btw, the way I removed the permissions on the update folder was to disable inheritance, which had to be done anyway and automatically sets the folder to no permissions for any user.

#15 mrlickz

mrlickz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:51 AM

With uTorrent RUNNING:

1) Ctrl+Alt+Delete

-diis

w00t this worked for me thank you very much!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users