Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STep by step needed for a newbie, please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gunnywebb

gunnywebb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:11 AM

I have a computer the hard drive just went out. I want to put a new drive in it and download linux, point I think it is. How do I load a blank machine, have done the dual boot with Ubuntu years ago. I have the iso on a thumb drive.

Edited by computerxpds, 20 September 2015 - 08:18 AM.
Moved to Linux support from Linux tutorials

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

Courtesy of Sir NickAu1

Computer Specs

Before we go any further, Can you please tell us about your PC?

Things like.

PC type, Desktop or Laptop.

Processor type.

How much ram is in it.

How big is the hard drive.

Do you have a GPU ( Grafix card ) What type.

Once we know this we can better assist you with a Linux distro that will suit you and your PC.

Nick.

BC Staff.

@pcpunk:  Once this is known you should be able to install via. a LiveLinuxDVD or USB.  You will need another computer to make one of these, or purchase one.  I suggest providing the Manufacturer and the Model of pc, so that folks can see exactly what you have - and exactly what you will need to do.  It might be good to know the previous OS also.

Of course you need a HDD first?  I can't advise you about that but others will.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:53 PM

Well, the smartest and quickest thing to do, is to burn that iso to a DVD, and boot the machine BEFORE you put in any HDD.  You can't use an iso that's on a pen drive.  It has to be burned to a DVD, to extract and become bootable.

Then, after the boot completes, instead plug in an external HD, then run the install with the external HD as the target, so you can first see if you'll like it.  Most Linux distributions work on almost any PC configuration, so long as the RAM is at least 1 GB.  I have 19 Windows machines and run Linux on all of them.. externally.  None of the internal hard drives have or need Linux installed.  That way, I can plug the Linux into any of my machines from Atom to Xeon to i7 quad.  And, if ever Windows borks, it won't even matter if the MBR is messed up.  No grub to deal with.  So my Linux cannot be messed up by some other OS nor do I need to operate it solo on an internal drive.

So the only issue is what size external drive.  Same issue as internal.  With all the same effects and results, except some external drives are slower.  Depends on what kind you use.

So the 'step by step' is that of the distro's installer program, which it then gives you.  Generically, the installer wants you to tell it WHERE to install, then getting it to configure the partitions on that (EXTERNAL) drive for you -- most installers I've encountered, go buggy if you try to configure the partitions yourself -- then it asks you for domain/network name, user name as first root, password.  Some distros want to be connected to the internet when you do this, some don't.

The booting time takes maybe a minute or two longer, if booting from an external drive.  But far more useful and safer, more mobile.  In your case, the added advantage is you can do this with ANY distro, see which ones you like.

Edited by brainout, 20 September 2015 - 02:09 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 gunnywebb

gunnywebb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

The pc is a desktop that ran win 2000. The internal drive died due to multiple bad sectors. It was a homebuilt gamer for it's day, although I'm unsure of the ram size, it should be larger than the random of the shelf mass produced model. It was actually fast for what it was. I use it in a trailer we use to run astronomy software and telescopes in the field. The bouncing around took it's told on the poor 14 year old machine.

I forgot the iso needed to be on a dvd. Thought you could tell it to boot from usb and use it that way. Will need to check if it has a cd only or dvd drive. If it is cd drive, is there a way to load it? Was planning on replacing the iternal drive with a solid state one to handle the moving around. Solid state drive is a 60 gb with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter. Can a pc be run without an interal drive?

Thanks for the info.

Edited by gunnywebb, 20 September 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

Hi Gunny and welcome.

Can a pc be run without an interal drive?

Yes, Linux can be run from USB.

You could try puppy linux.

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

Download the ISO and burn it to USB using unetbootin, Then boot your PC from it.

Using UNetbootin to create a Linux USB from Linux | USB ...

If you want to burn the ISO to CD/DVD.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

#6 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:37 AM

. . .  to burn ISO image . . .  applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this. . . . 

Gunny,

If you are using an older version of Windows, without the built in iso support, you can download "InfraRecorder" and install it to do the job.  http://infrarecorder.org/

It works in Windows 2k and XP.

Cheers!

Naught

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users