Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fdisk : Cannot Execute Any Options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alic907

Alic907

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:35 PM

:thumbsup: Problem : 1) Cannot delete partition or logical DOS Drive (OPTION 3)
(a) Tried but couldnīt delete logical DOS drives(s) in the extended DOS partition
Message reads: No logical drives defined. All logical drives deleted
in the Extended DOS partition
When I display partition information, it remains the same (Please see below)
(:flowers: Tried but couldnīt delete extended DOS partition
Message reads: Cannot delete Extended DOS partition while logical
drives exist.

Information : Display partition information

Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
1 Non-DOS 3396 71%
2 Ext-DOS 1395 29%

Total disk space is 4784 Mbytes

I have tried all options, i.e. Option (3) sub-option (1,2,3 & 4). I'd appreciate if someone can shed some light on this. I've worked with FDISK command on other ocassions but never I've had such problems and I've read all the messages relating to FDISK in this forum. Thanks very much. :

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

I have never had this problem, but I did find a link at Microsoft that may help you out. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything better.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q261473/

#3 Alic907

Alic907
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

I have never had this problem, but I did find a link at Microsoft that may help you out. I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything better.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q261473/

Thanks a lot Crizz44. You provided me the answer. I've reproduced it below from the Microsoft webpage. Thanks again Crizz44 & everyone who tried to help out. Regards, Alicia. :thumbsup:

"For those using versions of MS-DOS that have lesser levels of hard- disk support, such as MS-DOS versions 3.2 and 3.21, there are a number of third-party hard-disk-management software packages that allow MS- DOS to access multiple partitions and/or partitions in excess of 32 MB. However, these third-party packages may use non-DOS constructs to assist in managing the hard disk, possibly including non-DOS partitions. These non-DOS constructs can cause problems when you upgrade to later versions of MS-DOS because versions of MS-DOS earlier than 5.0 assume that non-DOS constructs are owned by another operating system and, therefore, do not use, delete, or change non-DOS partitions or other non-DOS constructs in any way. "

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:56 PM

:thumbsup: I'm glad you figured it out !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users