Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Improvements Needed in Windows X

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:48 PM

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/18/these-are-the-things-microsoft-needs-to-improve-in-windows-10/?_m=3n.0038.1735.ja0ao07p52.1sy5

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

windows-10-start-menu.jpg

That is one messed up start menu. I thought it would shrink once the tiles were deleted. 

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

I see his points, but first they have to jettison aka.ms/msa or at least its paragraphs 2 and 3.  Even if Win10 were perfect, and there is much good one can say -- with that EULA, it's just too dangerous to use.  For self, and anyone self knows.  This is not to blame MSFT, but rather its lawyers, who don't seem to understand that aka.ms/msa is an open invitation to anyone to petition MSFT for data on anyone else's computer, solely via ACCUSATION, absent due process of law.

After that, there are many issues, including the ghacks' ones mentioned.  I personally did not have any but the search problems when running Win10 64-bit, but since I disabled Cortana I didn't expect search to work.  Edge is a tombstone, so I just downloaded Firefox, which works fine.  But my good experience (save the horrid interface and the glitches just mentioned), is in the minority.

Loyalty has its limits.  Your loyalty to the OS must end when the OS threatens you and yours.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:00 PM

JohnC_21, yeah.  Start Menu shrinks really well when Classic Shell 10 is added, even if you later remove it during a session.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

You guys know that you can shrink your Start Menu, right?

mDken5X.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:16 PM

Interesting point that Aura, I find i can alter the vertical dimension....just 'grab' the top of the box and pull it either way....but I am unable to alter the horizontal dimension.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

You sure of that? :P

ndJsHd4.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

Yup...positive

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:10 AM

Amen to that John.

windows-10-start-menu.jpg

That is one messed up start menu. I thought it would shrink once the tiles were deleted. 

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:00 AM

The menu doesn't shrink automatically once the tiles are removed (like it used to in the early TP builds), but at least you're able to adjust it vertically and horizontally (assuming it works on your system) so this point isn't that bad.

Also, I really hope that Microsoft never removes the Control Panel. The loading time between the Control Panel apps and the System Settings apps is just ridiculous.

unite_blue.png

#11 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

I'm assuming that you, Aura and the journalist, don't yet have Cortana. My options, with Cortana disabled, are so different from yours. I have the option to "Search Windows" right from the taskbar, in the space directly to the right of the start button. Search has "learned" what I generally ask for' so typing just the first letter gets me where I want to go. I don't touch the start menu except for power options.

C7xpDDD.png

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:30 PM

I live in Canada and set my timezone and country as such, so Cortana isn't available to me yet.

unite_blue.png

#13 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

I can't wait for you, and some of the other members of the BC brain trust, to get it. Searching from the taskbar solves a whole lot of the complaints you all have been fielding, Enabled, Cortana gives me garbage, but, disabled, she's a champ.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:57 PM

Amen to that, leithanne.

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users