Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question On How Long To Leave You Pc On

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John S

John S

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:24 PM

Should you leave your computer on stand by are shut it at night. I have been told two difference ways. What is the best way???????????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:58 PM

It is up to you.
On or off.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 mlurp

mlurp

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

I have 3 PC's so I do shut down when I am done with one or the other, just from habit and power consummation besides the fact I use several paid for utilities on all 3 but paid for one license. The Central air, pool pump and Big Screen TV with Home Entertainment System etc. IMHO the toaster and Microwave shut off when done so... But it is a choice one makes today if your monitor is newer. The older monitors would burn images into the screen. reason for screen savers usage really. And you pay the power company.

Edited by mlurp, 17 July 2006 - 02:09 PM.

#4 Xpert

Xpert

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

I only leave my on over night when downloading.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

Turning off your computer when you are not using it not only saves energy and money out of pocket, but gives the operating system a chance to reset itself. If I am going to be away from my computer for more than an hour, unless I am downloading E-mails or applications, I generally turn it completely off.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:13 PM

This is good to know!

I usually leave my computer on, just because I have my AV scanners to daily scans, at like 2 am or something.

But my old scrensaer was one image, and I never had it move ro switch, and all the time I notice it (have new one now, that switchs pics alot) it says "I Ball" right in the middle, its hard to notic though.

Posted Image

#7 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:33 AM

leaving your computer on 24/7 can shorten the life of your components as well as run up a power bill. People used to use their computers for a few hours and then shut down (like ten years ago) but now it is more common to keep them running longer because of gaming, internet etc. I believe this increase in operation hours is why we see more premature parts failures now.

With that said I leave mine on most of the time with the power settings to put it in standby after an hour. Sometimes I set it to Hibernate after 6 hours or whatever is the maximum since it is a little quicker than a regular startup(and my browser etc is still where I left it). Basically it comes down to how long you want to wait for it to turn on. If you can wait the extra minute then shut down at night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users