Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Or Over Heating?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Idaman323

Idaman323

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:48 PM

Okay... got this computer its new... It is missing any kind of fan in the back of the computer.. It only has a heatsink and then a fan blowing in from the side of the case. The computer would turn off by itself pretty often.. so we opened up the sides and now have a box fan blowing through the thing.... But even with this.. it still causes problems of turning off.... Once it turned off and I hit the power button again and it turned on for like 5 seconds then turned off again.... So that made me think it was an overheating issue.

Oh and also I got an error message on startup that says the fan is running at a lower speed then recommended.... so maybe a heatsink problem?

But, is just two 80/120mm fans in the back going to really do that much if a box fan cant even do it..? Or is there another problem..

Thanks

Edited by Idaman323, 17 July 2006 - 12:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

Is "this computer" home Build or bought from retailer/ chain?
K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#3 Idaman323

Idaman323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

It is a home built computer.

#4 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

Sounds to me as CPU is overheating or the BIOS thinks it is, causing the puter to shut down to prevent any irreparable damage.

Presumably you have TIM between the CPU and heatsink.check this topic

Make sure you have applied enough (NOT too much)

case fans in general are only there to Draw Cool air in (from Front / Bottom) fans at the Back of the case and top Expel warm air.
As long as the Fan/CPU heatsink is designed for the CPU then it should be ok.

K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

I suggest that you fill every available fan slot in that case. Make sure that the fans are blowing in the correct direction. Then, if you don't wanna do the fan thing or after, check to see the thermal paste in between the CPU and heatsink. There should be a little pad supplied with the HSF (heatsink and fan), if not then add more.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 Idaman323

Idaman323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

Found the problem.. after lookin at the hardware specs... the temp would rise so quickly.. and the CPU fan would run at 0 rpm... so its a bad heatsink... we ordered a new one... and now al the fan spots are filled and the comp is keepin cool :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users