Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu problems after update/Timeshift

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:53 PM

Greetings,

I have Timeshift, installed on a machine running Ubuntu 14.04. I had a list of helpful snapshots created, but they are no longer visible. The last task, that I completed, was install updates, through the Software Updater. After restarting the machine, I opened Timeshift, to create a snapshot, and I was greeted with the message “Backup device does not have enough space! First snapshot needs 4.2GB.”  There is a 320GB HDD installed, with about 300GB of free space.  Also, no matter what is typed in the Dash, I receive the message, “Sorry, there is nothing that matches your search.” These two issues started after running the recommended updates, from the Software Updater. In the past, if I was experiencing an issue, I would use Timeshift, and have a fresh start. If someone could please assist me, in solving this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you, for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

Oh, golly, you want to talk to WizfromOz.  He's great with this.  He's from Down Under, so there's a time difference.  Lot of great people here, too.

Edited by brainout, 19 September 2015 - 05:28 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:56 PM

Doesn't matter how much Free Space is on your "drive" - unless it's the exact Drive/Partition that you are trying to save to, so is it?  Perhaps my idea is to simple, but that's what it sounds like is going on.  Just open your File Manager, click on the drive where you are saving these snapshots and see how much free space is available.  Do you have your whole Drive allocated to "/root" or do you have "/root" and "home/"?  

Edited by pcpunk, 19 September 2015 - 09:03 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

Thank you, brainout, and pcpunk. Under File Manager, I am able to see that the drive has 274.6GB of free space, not the originally mentioned 300GB. The drive, is allocated to root, yes. I still do not fully understand how the previously saved snapshots, could not be found in Timeshift, or why I am experiencing issues, while using Dash. Is there an alternative form, of restoring the system to a previous state that could help solve these issues? Or, will I need to build it back up, again? As stated in my previous post, I ran the updates via the Software Updater. I have always thought that this method was safer, than using sudo apt-get update, in the terminal.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

You need to talk to Wiz on that, beachfeet.  Send him a PM.  Seriously, he encountered so similar a situation, you'll want to talk with him.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

Open your file manager and click the UP Arrow and you should see the Timeshift Folder, then you can at least take a look to see if you have any Images there also.  Mine are in the first "Snapshots" Folder.

Do you have any gparted pics of your drive you could share?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:27 PM

I am following this with interest, sorry I cant help as I don't create backups ( bad Nick ). 

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:41 AM

I don't think it is a Timeshift thing Nick, I think it was a bad Update.  Perhaps Broken Packages, which I am not able to help with.  

beachfeet, The Software Updater is fine to use, but, it's possible that you had a bad Update somehow, make sure to check the simple stuff.  Do you use an Ethernet connection, if so check it.  You might even go wireless to rule that out for now.  

Dash, are you talking about the "Desktop Dashboard"?  Just asking because I am unfamiliar with it.

I'm hoping someone will come along and maybe help you with fixing Broken Packages, if that is what it is.

You could go into Synaptic Package Manager > Edit(top left) > Fix Broken Packages, but don't go by me, that's just what I would try.  I have used it before but did not take notes that I remember.  If you do this make sure you have a good internet connection.

Edited by pcpunk, 21 September 2015 - 12:46 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:27 AM

Hi beachfeet, regret the delay.

I endorse pcpunk's comments above.

Got your PM, brainout is sweet and kind, but overly builds me up where Timeshift is concerned. I simply introduced it to the Forum 12 months ago (in a few days), as an alternative solution to those seeking answers to backing up their Home directories/partitions.

Following my suggestion, a number of our Members embraced TS as a tool in their lits for backup and cloning solutions … including “bad” Nick, lol (or at least he researched it, including its BTRFS capability).

brainout's reference to my encountering similar circumstances is not quite factually accurate, but can be read about here, if you are interested (reference TimNet)

To business. Some of the below you may know, some maybe not. I do not currently have a working version of Ubuntu (yet) on my new PC, but the information provided should be cross-Linux Distribution, if it proves not to be the case, someone could let me know and I will add that to my Knowledge Base.

For purposes of this exercise I have just downloaded and installed Timeshift (hereafter “TS”) and taken a couple of Snapshots.

TS, when installed, will typically take up residence under /usr/share, resulting in /usr/share/timeshift

However when you use it for the first time, it will:

1. Calculate the size of your first snapshot, in my case, 4.9GB and

2. Present you with a choice of Destination for Backup, typically default is the partition you are currently in on your internal HDD.

There, it will make its own directory /timeshift, where it will store folders named for types of screenshots.

Below illustrates, under my circumstances.

mRr48LL.png

Under snapshots-ondemand, I have

SnsDJCa.png

… the first one, 4.9GB, took about 3-4 minutes to complete, and the second one only seconds, because nothing had effectively changed, but was about the same size. So you need to factor that storage overhead into your plans.

In my case, I changed the default Destination to my 3TB external HDD, rather than the internal.

I note from accessing your Profile, and recent Posts, that you have an external HDD.

Namely, at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586994/external-hdd-not-allowing-pc-to-boot-attempted-solutions-listed/#entry3801980 - and it appears your circumstances mirror my own, nearly, a 2TB internal and a 3TB external. In that event, if your external solution is now trustworthy, it is your best bet for Timeshift storage, but that is up to you.

Timeshift settings can be tweaked to schedule events, in my case, when I was on Ubuntu, I had a weekly snapshot scheduled, and just took on-demand when I was installing new software, or undertaking a project that might entail risk. You can also set it to flush or cull old snapshots periodically, eg 30, 60, 90 days, you get the picture. Very much like Windows Restore in these regards.

beachfeet, it would be useful to know a little more of your circumstances, but I have to go away for a couple of hours and will outline more asap.

Tony George (author of Timeshift, Aptik, Selene and Conky Manager to name a few - he is based in India) has changed his website since last I visited

http://www.teejeetech.in

... he used to run a blog where he answered questions, take a look around the site, if you can get it from the horse's mouth, it is likely better than what I can provide.

Back soon

:wizardball: Wizard

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:04 AM

including “bad” Nick, lol (or at least he researched it, including its BTRFS capability).

Yes I got as far as creating 1 image and restoring from it. Then I never bothered again, I use LVM snapshot.

Setting up LVM Snapshot as a backup/restore point in ubuntu

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:33 AM

beachfeet, it would be useful to know a little more of your circumstances...

Quoting myself, but the following would be helpful, both as a general rule, and specifically about your current dilemma:

1. Screenshots* of your attempts prior, and/or if you can reproduce the output results you find on trying again

2. System specs on your computer/s configuration. Take a look at my example by clicking my avatar at upper left (bearded Aussie sitting on a step) and see what I have in my profile. Also see what I have in my signature below, and you will get the picture. I will be updating my profile and my signature, next few days, to reflect that we now have two new computers in our household

3. With 2., above – a number of our Members whom are also Windows users find it useful to access Piriform Speccy, which, as well as providing you with a very comprehensive analysis of your computer/s for your own purposes, allows you the opportunity to have a URL (website address) posting of those specs (no personal info), which you can include in your signature.

1. You can see examples of this by clicking the signature parts from pcpunk above, for each of his Acer Aspire and his Toshiba, to get the picture

2. NickAu, on the other hand, has chosen to use the terminal command <inxi -Fx> and upload it to bleepstatic.com. You can get a less verbose rendition of this by typing it in without the dash, that is <inxi Fx> - both without the brackets when typed.

By taking this step, you are effectively “Have specs will travel” around this website. It will help you, as well as help us to help you.

If you can go ahead and do these things, and then let us know, I can help you further.

Meantime, I also have the question/s:

1. Do you have Gparted installed, and also Synaptic Package Manager, on your Ubuntu install? If you are not sure, type them into the Dash

*Screenshots – sadly, the Linux & Unix part of the website does not have the facility enabled (yet) to be able to attach Thumbnails such as you did in another Post elsewhere. You will need, for now to join an image hosting site and post from there.

There is a good Post in another Topic by Moderator Stolen, referenced here

www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot - #2 refers

or if you choose Tinypic – NickAu has this in the Tutes:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558714/how-to-post-a-screen-shot-linux-style/

Under Ubuntu, you can find Screenshot through The Dash, pin it to the Unity Launcher, you will find lots of use for it, and its default is .png which is easily posted to this area via Imgur and others. Shutter you will need to install.

If you are posting Linux-related Windows screenshots using eg Windows Snipping Tool, the default is .jpeg and that needs a little tweaking with Imgur but perhaps not others. We can give you info if using Imgur, as we have recently debated the issue and I found a workaround with the help of others (I use Imgur).

Hear from you soon, I hope.

:wizardball: Wizard

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:08 AM

including “bad” Nick, lol (or at least he researched it, including its BTRFS capability).

Yes I got as far as creating 1 image and restoring from it. Then I never bothered again, I use LVM snapshot.

Setting up LVM Snapshot as a backup/restore point in ubuntu

Will this work to backup the entire drive, including Windows 7? At the moment, though this will change around the holiday season, am going to add a 500GiB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (my largest ever SSD) on my main PC, am running both Windows 7 Ultimate & Linux Mint 17.2 (the root partition) on the same 256GiB Crucial M550 mSATA SSD. 

Once the conversion is complete, will use the Crucial 256GiB M550 mSATA for my entire Linux Mint install, including my /home partition & Swap, plus a 2GiB NTFS partition at the end for the controllers to do their job. Will leave 10% of the space unformatted & also all of my drives will be reverted back to GPT (as it came out of the box). Plus will take the dive & run my VM's from the SSD, if it fails after 2-3 years, that's an excuse to purchase another, but not a low or mid quality one, either an Intel or Samsung Pro of 256GiB or larger. No EVO models. :P

I have places where the two 120-128GiB SSD's can be used & this will also free a SATA port for future needs (when 1TiB SSD's drops below $200 US dollars). 

Just want to know if this is doable with little effort. Currently using Macrium Reflect to image the Windows 7 partition & Timeshift once a month or so for Linux Mint 17.1, which will be cleaned installed as 17.2 when the time comes to add the 500GiB SSD & GPT conversion. Need to cleanup some of these small drives, as Dell has now approved one GTX 970 of the EVGA brand for the XPS 8700, so the current card may be in for less time than the first GPU upgrade, need to save all the power I can. 

BTW, Timeshift has been a good app to use & I have an extra 160GiB HDD formatted as ext4 to keep backups on, plenty of space left. The first backup took the most time, the ones created monthly takes only 2-3 minutes. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:20 AM

@cat1092

Will this work to backup the entire drive, including Windows 7?

More likely covered by Timeshift's cloning feature, bearing in mind it is sometimes criticised that what it refers to as Backup (first option on screen window) is actually a Snapshot feature.

I have much more to come next 24 - 48 -72, but my current focus is on the OP's dilemma.

This may make for a separate Topic, or Tutorial, even.

Stay tuned

:wizardball: Wiz

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:37 AM

This may make for a separate Topic, or Tutorial, even.

Wiz, you may be right, I was referring to the solution that Nick is currently using, I'm not going to take over the OP's Topic as my own. 

Thanks for the friendly reminder. Though I'm an Advisor & work hard to do my best, am human & not perfect. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 September 2015 - 03:40 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:52 AM

Will this work to backup the entire drive, including Windows 7?

Sorry Cat no Idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users