Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping 16 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD with a single SSD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rad7

rad7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hello forum,

I just got a ThinkPad T440 and it came with a 16 GB caching SSD + 500 GB HDD and Win 7 Professional 64-bit. Please see the attached screen shot.

I am planning to upgrade the HDD to an SSD in the near future. Will I be able to do that considering the fact that there is also a 16 GB caching drive? How will the information in the 16 GB SSD be handled? And can I just leave the 16 GB caching SSD and just replace the 500 GB HDD with an SSD?

I also see a 3rd partition called "System Reserved" with a capacity of just 100 MB as you can see in the screen shot. What does this do? Is it normal to have some thing like this?

Secondly, I am planning to make a system image before I start using the laptop? Can I just use the Win 7 system image tool to create an image on a flash drive? And do I have to format the flash drive to NTFS? It is currently FAT32.

I would be grateful if you can give me any more tips before I start using my laptop.

Thank you.

Attached Files

• Attached File  $_57.JPG   79.41KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2015 - 03:21 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

If you are doing a clean install, then you can definitely replace that 16GB SSD with you new one. I would recommend having the new SSD with your hard drive as a secondary. And yes those partitions you have are normal for a system drive. When you install your OS on the new SSD it will show the same information.

As far as the image, I would assume that using the built-in tool in Windows would be fine. Again I'm not totally sure about this one.

#3 rad7

rad7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:11 PM

Thank you very much for your reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users