Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ricecns

ricecns

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:03 PM

I'm trying to help my friend fix his laptop, but this seems to be an issue that I can't find any help for..

Product Name: HP 15-d035dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

He tells me that he just reinstalled windows 8 with a disk mailed from HP before this happened.

The laptop will not power on.

AC adaptor works, indicator light is white when plugged in.

After pressing power button, the Wifi (F12) button LED blinks, orange, once - then nothing.

I've tried removing the battery, unplugging, holding the power button down for 15, 30 and 60 seconds and retried, but the same thing happens.

There is no fan or any sounds coming from the laptop, it won't even take me to the BIOS screen, the only indication of life is the power LED and the single blink of the Wifi (F12) LED.

I've tried disassembling the computer and cleaning it, checking all the hardware and everything seems to be in good order.

I posted in the HP support forum and recieved zero support.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Edited by ricecns, 19 September 2015 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

I don't know if this is your problem but some laptops will not boot if the CMOS battery is bad. One thing to check.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,747 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:27 AM

it won't even take me to the BIOS screen

You have a low-level hardware failure; the boot signal from the power supply is not reaching the BIOS so the unit cannot POST, and there are only 4 things that will prevent a motherboard from POSTing. Failure of the power supply (or connections to it), total RAM failure, BIOS chip failure (including what JohnC said above), or motherboard failure. You can try what JohnC said, which includes resetting the BIOS back to factory default and testing the power supply, You can attempt running Memtest86+ from the DVD drive, but since the unit cannot achieve POST I doubt that will work, and if the unit is not already set to CD=1st boot device in the BIOS it's questionable if that will work.

As far as HP support.....better to go to your local zoo and consult an intelligent chimp. I have been down the road with their support "techs" several times and the forum is next to useless.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 ricecns

ricecns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to replace the CMOS battery today and Ill let you know what happens.

Edited by ricecns, 20 September 2015 - 08:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users