Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'blank' Display Hides Computer Data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mlurp

mlurp

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

Not sure just where this was to be posted. But didn't want to post new topic over members "today" post.

From one of my newsletters;
'Blank' display hides computer data
14:55 03 August 2002
NewScientist.com news service
Will Knight

Computer Science Laboratory, Cambridge University
A computer screen that looks blank to anyone not wearing a pair of special polarising glasses has been developed by a Tokyo-based electronics company, Iizuka Denki Kogyo.

The company believes the modified LCD monitor will appeal to financial institutions that need to keep sensitive information safe from prying eyes in a busy environment.

Only authorised viewers wearing the special glasses would be able to read data on the screen. Anyone looking over their shoulder would see nothing at all. "To others, you would look like someone with sunglasses working in front of a totally white screen," said an official in charge of development at IDK.

The displayed data is rendered invisible by doing away with a light-polarising screen from the front of the monitor. All LCD's use this filter to block some of the polarised light that passes through liquid crystals controlled by an electrical current. This makes it possible to display information by defining different parts of the screen in light and colour.

In the IDK system, the polarising filter is effectively moved from the screen to the pair of glasses worn by authorised computer users.

3D glasses
Markus Kuhn, an expert in computer display security at Cambridge University, says the idea would be relatively simple to implement. But he warns that this security measure could be defeated by anyone who can get hold of a pair of correctly configured, light polarising glasses.

Alternatively, Kuhn told New Scientist, simple 3D movie glasses could defeat the system. These have a horizontal polarising filter on one eye and a vertical filter on the other eye.

"By tilting the head up to 45 degrees to either side and switching between both eyes, you can easily observe light at all polarisation angles," he says. Kuhn adds that an opaque shielding device might be simpler way to obstruct prying eyes.

The 15-inch IDK screens are expected to go on sale at the end of 2002 and to cost between $1600 and $2500.
At that price I'm glad I live alone!

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 17 July 2006 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:56 PM

Sweet. I could use something like this. :thumbsup: No more prying eyes, when entering passwords that just have to been entered in the plaintext form.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

I guess the one thing that strikes me is that the technology reported isn't more common or widely known after nearly 4 years. :thumbsup: Just in case any one was paying attention that article was written at 2:55 p.m. on August 03, 2002. Seems to me it's either vaporware or cost prohibitive and has died a untimely death.

Just my 2 fuzzy jujube's from under the the couch cushions, take on it. :flowers:

Be (Caught in a time warp) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:37 PM

Well what happen is, I just saw the movie Click and when I got home, this blue remote was found on the kitchen counter, and suddenly I skipped 7 years into the future....

#5 mlurp

mlurp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

Man I missed that Animal, I need to check ou tmy newsletters. that is now 2 which were offering outdated news! Or I am a very slooooooooow reader, he, he.

Edited by mlurp, 18 July 2006 - 10:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users