Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS RTC Error Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheJosht3r

TheJosht3r

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

So I've been having a problem with my custom built PC for a while now. About 2 months after building my PC (everything was flawless before this point) I started having some problems with my computer. A few days after installing a new r9 280x gpu I started having my problem (it might be a coincidence that i started having my problem at the same time i put a new GPU in). On startup my computer fires up, all the fans start, hard drive starts, gpu fans start, all of that jazz. The only problem is that I don't get ANY graphical output from my PC. The screen stays black. My motherboard speaker will make 5 short beeps and then wont do anything else. I've left it on for 30 minutes like this. No more beeps, no graphic output, nothing; but the fans and everything else stays on. I looked it up and according to my motherboard (990fx killer) the beep code indicated a real time clock error. After resetting the cmos my computer starts up (sometimes). Sometimes I will reset it and nothing will happen, it will just go to making 5 beeps and giving me no output. And some times I will reset it and it will start up fine. That part has me stumped. Even after buying a brand new CMOS battery it still does the same thing. I am really hoping ill be able to fix this without having to buy a new motherboard. Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

Could you provide a link to where it says that 5 short beeps is the RTC clock?  All my searches point to memory or video card.

FWIW - unplug the system from the wall, then ground yourself, then carefully reseat the video card.

Pull it all the way out, check the slot, blow the slot out, and then carefully reseat the card.

Then plug it back in and see if it works.

If that doesn't work, then start the same process with the RAM.

Take it out, check the slots, blow the slots out, then carefully reseat it.

If it still doesn't work, then try each stick of RAM in each of the slots

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TheJosht3r

TheJosht3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:58 AM

I have reseated gpu, and went through the process with the ram. Nothing. Sometimes it does nothing (still starts up but no output) and sometimes it makes the beeps. I've completely taken apart my computer and put it back together as an act of desperation. Still nothing. It makes more sense to be a video card error, I'm just not too excited about the idea that my brand new 250 dollar card is a peice of toast. Any further suggestions?

#4 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

Does the problem still happen without the new Graphics card in?

#5 TheJosht3r

TheJosht3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

Without the graphics card in it it starts up still with no beeps and (obviously) no output. no onboard graphics. I dont currently have another graphics card to test

#6 Ste2ph

Ste2ph

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

Ahh ok. Im sorry I assumed you had integrated graphics on your motherboard

#7 TheJosht3r

TheJosht3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:15 AM

I tested with another graphics card. The slot works fine, the other card works fine, starts windows right up. So no problem with the PCI slot. Im stumped as to why it wont work at all, but then (after restarting and restarting and restarting god knows how many times) it starts right up flawlessly. This whole thing has me stumped. Hours of research and I've gotten nowhere at all. Also, in response to usamsa, I was looking at the wrong beep code chart (silly me) It is most definitely the Graphics card at fault

Edited by TheJosht3r, 21 September 2015 - 02:15 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:46 AM

If you have the same problem with 2 different video cards - then the problem is most likely with the video card slot/motherboard.

If the motherboard is still under warranty, RTM it and get a new one.

If it's not under warranty, then a bit more research is probably a good idea BEFORE replacing the motherboard.

Start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Then, if all those pass, try this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 TheJosht3r

TheJosht3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:49 AM

I tested with another graphics card. The slot works fine, the other card works fine, starts windows right up. So no problem with the PCI slot. Im stumped as to why it wont work at all, but then (after restarting and restarting and restarting god knows how many times) it starts right up flawlessly. This whole thing has me stumped. Hours of research and I've gotten nowhere at all. Also, in response to usamsa, I was looking at the wrong beep code chart (silly me) It is most definitely the Graphics card at fa

If you have the same problem with 2 different video cards - then the problem is most likely with the video card slot/motherboard.

If the motherboard is still under warranty, RTM it and get a new one.

If it's not under warranty, then a bit more research is probably a good idea BEFORE replacing the motherboard.

Start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Then, if all those pass, try this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

The other card works just fine in the MOBO. I've narrowed the problem to the R9 280X. It works fine when it decides to start up, it's just i usually have to restart my computer about 10 or so times for it to not beep. Eventually though, after I restart it enough times, it will start up and run smoothly

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:59 AM

Sorry I misread it.

If the card is what's giving problems, then the easiest thing to do would be to return it for another.

I state this because in a previous post you stated it was a brand new card - so it should still be under warranty (but each supplier has different rules about this).

Beyond that, I'd suggest posting in the Internal hardware forums here ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ ), the video card manufacturer's forums, or the AMD forums for further suggestions on how to repair the card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users