Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wifi wont auto connect

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 robertbassin5

robertbassin5

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

I have a compaq presario c700. I had windows 7 ultimate wifi auto connected. Upgraded to windows 10 pro wifi auto connected. When i was trying to reinstall itunes. The older version could not be removed. So in the process of removing itunes. I needed to reboot and not it wont auto connect unless i manually press the wifi button. I also have noticed that it is in airplane mode with no airplane symbol on the screen. Can not turn off. I guess i need to know do i have faulty wifi adapter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hello, and Welcome

Your wireless adapter is probably fine. There are forum threads all over the internet on Windows 10 wireless issues including being stuck in airplane mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584834/pc-win-10-install-no-internet-airplane-mode-stuck-on/?hl=%2Bairplane

http://www.howto-connect.com/fix-airplane-mode-issues-in-windows-10/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-wifi-is-stuck-on-airplane-mode-and-not/1a905c7d-cd2f-41d5-888d-82aa97c30ac1

Right click your wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

Some wireless adapters are having troubles when upgraded to Windows 10.

#3 robertbassin5

robertbassin5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

I have also have tried putting back in my old smaller hdd back in and formatting and doing a clean install of windows 7 ultimate. It is still doing the same thing. I could find any settins in the the bios for this. Still stumpped.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:17 AM

When you say it is doing the same thing, using the Windows 7 HDD you can connect after pressing the wireless button? Using Windows 7 also has it stuck in airplane mode?

#5 robertbassin5

robertbassin5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:23 AM

Yes it connects by pressing the wifi button. Didnt know windows 7 had a airplane mode. Like i mentioned eariler it all worked before. It only changed when messing with itunes.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

That is strange as doing a clean install with Windows 7 should have eliminated anything to do with interfering with your wireless.

I have a compaq with a wireless button but it automatically connects and shows blue from red when booting up.  Do you have Windows 7 set to automatically connect to your network?

Edit: Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line. 

I looked for your drivers but the last OS I could find for the C700 was Vista.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 September 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#7 robertbassin5

robertbassin5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

Yes. I have also noticed that right before the welcome screen comes up the light goes from red to blue but only for a couple of seconds then back red.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

See my edited post. Please provide the Vendor and Device ID in Device Manager. 

#9 robertbassin5

robertbassin5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

I have had Windows 7 on this laptop for over a year. With no problems. I am not by my laptop right now. But i think it is a qualcom wireless adapter.

#10 robertbassin5

robertbassin5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:46 AM

It is what came on this laptop. The only thing i have done to this laptop is go from a 140gb hdd to a 640hdd and increased the memory. Went from windows vista home to windows 7 ultimate.

#11 robertbassin5

robertbassin5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

As of this past weekend it worked until sunday afternoon when trying to itunes back on. But could not due to not being able to remove older version. Even though i couldnt find an older version.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

itunes is not currently on the Windows 7 HDD that has the clean install, correct? If you have the same issue using a clean install then I doubt itunes caused the problem. I may have been a coincidence.  

Sometimes the wireless drivers from intel can get wonky and a reinstall will help or work better than what is available on the Windwos install disk. According to the specs you have either a Broadcom or intel adapter. 

You can rule out a hardware problem by downloading a small linux distro like Puppy Linux and see if you can connect wirelessly. Burn the iso to a CD and boot. A wireless manager will appear if it senses an active wireless connection. 

If Puppy cannot connect then  the only other thing I can think of is to pull the card and attach it again. There may be a connection problem between the card and MB. 

If it is a hardware issue with the card you would need to purchase a HP card as HP whitelists their wireless cards. Any other card will not work. The other option is to use a USB wireless dongle. 

#13 robertbassin5

robertbassin5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

No itunes on the windows 7 hdd.

#14 robertbassin5

robertbassin5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

But i have noticed on the windows 7 hdd winodows update has a driver update for my wireless adapter. While installing that driver i get a blue screen stating irdq less or not equal to. Someting like that. I went to safe mode and uninstall the wireless adapter. Reboot and no more blue screen, but still no auto connect.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

When you get access to the computer, right click the Wireless network controller in Device Manager. Right click and select Properties.Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users