All I want to do is record gameplay of PC and console games with voiceover/commentary. However, nothing seems to work.
How can I set it up so it records something? Even if for now it's only one or the other rather than PC and console.
I have the following:
-A Cyberpower Gaming Battalion 502 desktop PC (Windows 7) (Set up with VGA. Has DVI and HDMI ports)
-An ASUS laptop (Windows 8) (Includes HDMI port)
-A VGA only monitor
-A recording device (Relliance EC010 HD Video Capture)
-Consoles and Component and HDMI cables
-A HD TV
I have tried the following and had the following issues:
1. a) Set up the desktop with VGA monitor and headset mic jack plugged in. That worked fine and recorded audio. I then plugged in the recording device, a console and the HD TV and wired it all up. I pulled out the printer plug (certain it was that) so I could had enough space for everything I needed to be plugged in and the speakers made a noise and started buzzing. The headset mic sounded on, but the recordings were just loud buzzing. The speakers then wouldn't stop buzzing, although they seem fine again now and they play audio perfectly fine.
Tried the same setup again today. First tested the headset mic, but it is not recording any audio and the mic does not sound like it's on. The headphones work fine. Plugged in the other things and the speakers did not buzz this time. Plugged and unplugged the printer (even turning it on fully) but it made no difference. Turned the desktop off and back on twice, but mic still does not work.
2. To record PC games the guide says DVI to HDMI adapter, or I have the option of just using HDMI. However, my monitor is VGA only. I can't find an adapter that is VGA to HDMI - only adapters I found would require the connection to the actual computer to be HDMI or DVI, which doesn't work. The connection to the computer needs to be VGA with HDMI the other end to connect to the recording device.
No clue if the DVI port works as neither my monitor or TV connect that way. However, the HDMI port does not appear to work and I'm unsure why. The computer doesn't recognise it (full issue here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590661/connecting-desktop-pc-to-tv/).
3. My laptop can connect to the recording device with no issues. I can not, however, record audio as the headset I have is a three-conductor and that laptop requires it to be a four. Plus I can't play all the games I'd like to play (one because of spec, two because of compatibility issues, three if on disk the disk drive makes a lot of noise).
4. The recording device has the option for a mic, but the audio recorded that way is very quiet and it all saves as one file so turning the volume up increases in-game volume as well and so the voice recording still can not be heard.
5. I tried using the built in mic of both my laptop and a tablet I have, but they pick up other sounds too much (i.e. clicking of mouse, keyboard and controllers) and if you move away from them then it barely records the sound of your voice.
I think that's everything. Sorry it's quite long.
What is the best set up and how can I get it to work (ideally without spending any money)?