Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Set up to record games

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:34 AM

Hi.

All I want to do is record gameplay of PC and console games with voiceover/commentary. However, nothing seems to work.

How can I set it up so it records something? Even if for now it's only one or the other rather than PC and console.

I have the following:

-A Cyberpower Gaming Battalion 502 desktop PC (Windows 7) (Set up with VGA. Has DVI and HDMI ports)

-An ASUS laptop (Windows 8) (Includes HDMI port)

-A VGA only monitor

-A recording device (Relliance EC010 HD Video Capture)

-A headset

-Consoles and Component and HDMI cables

-A HD TV

I have tried the following and had the following issues:

1. a) Set up the desktop with VGA monitor and headset mic jack plugged in. That worked fine and recorded audio. I then plugged in the recording device, a console and the HD TV and wired it all up. I pulled out the printer plug (certain it was that) so I could had enough space for everything I needed to be plugged in and the speakers made a noise and started buzzing. The headset mic sounded on, but the recordings were just loud buzzing. The speakers then wouldn't stop buzzing, although they seem fine again now and they play audio perfectly fine.

B) Tried the same setup again today. First tested the headset mic, but it is not recording any audio and the mic does not sound like it's on. The headphones work fine. Plugged in the other things and the speakers did not buzz this time. Plugged and unplugged the printer (even turning it on fully) but it made no difference. Turned the desktop off and back on twice, but mic still does not work.

2. To record PC games the guide says DVI to HDMI adapter, or I have the option of just using HDMI. However, my monitor is VGA only. I can't find an adapter that is VGA to HDMI - only adapters I found would require the connection to the actual computer to be HDMI or DVI, which doesn't work. The connection to the computer needs to be VGA with HDMI the other end to connect to the recording device.

No clue if the DVI port works as neither my monitor or TV connect that way. However, the HDMI port does not appear to work and I'm unsure why. The computer doesn't recognise it (full issue here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590661/connecting-desktop-pc-to-tv/).

3. My laptop can connect to the recording device with no issues. I can not, however, record audio as the headset I have is a three-conductor and that laptop requires it to be a four. Plus I can't play all the games I'd like to play (one because of spec, two because of compatibility issues, three if on disk the disk drive makes a lot of noise).

4. The recording device has the option for a mic, but the audio recorded that way is very quiet and it all saves as one file so turning the volume up increases in-game volume as well and so the voice recording still can not be heard.

5. I tried using the built in mic of both my laptop and a tablet I have, but they pick up other sounds too much (i.e. clicking of mouse, keyboard and controllers) and if you move away from them then it barely records the sound of your voice.

I think that's everything. Sorry it's quite long.

What is the best set up and how can I get it to work (ideally without spending any money)?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

1. You can get buzzing from your speakers if there is interference. What kind of speakers are they? The intermittent buzzing could be a severe issue, so I would rather focus on that for now.

2. You can't always convert VGA > HDMI, not like you can with DVI > HDMI. You typically need a special adapter, more than just a cable. One of the reasons is that VGA does not carry sound like HDMI does. So audio output has to come from a different source than HDMI, such as the regular 3.5mm jack. The Reliance capture device you have only supports HDMI for video inputs and outputs, which means you will need the adapter going from the capture device to the VGA monitor. You can do DVI from the computer to the device's HDMI port via cable.

3. Well, forget the laptop for now, since it is of no use, currently.

4. That solves some of your problems, but introduces a new one, sound balance. You can take the audio out of the file, separating it from the video, then increase the volume, and then mux it back into the original video file. What software do you use for editing game videos?

5. Don't bother with builtin mics. They are meant for video conferencing and nothing more.

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for replying.

1. Turned out to be the headset causing the issue. Speakers are fine. I got a relacement headset.

2. Yeah, I gave up with that lol. Not sure DVI will work either so I'm using software rather than the hardware.

3. Yep :(

4. That's a lot of hassle though. None so far, haven't got to editing as the recordings haven't gone right. Only got windows movie maker right now lol. I do aim to change that!

5. Yeah, but was worth the try lol.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

1. That's good! Better that than something expensive.

2. DVI will work with HDMI with just a cable, but it won' transfer sound since DVI does not do audio. You would need to transfer sound to the recorder via a standard 3.5 mm jack. DVI to HDMI cable that goes in to the recorder. Then an HDMI cable from the recorder to the TV should work.

4. It's only a hassle at first. Once you get better at the software you will eventually know how to balance the audio perfectly. Some software lets you perform macros which means only a few clicks and your video can be ready to go.

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:03 AM

1. That's good! Better that than something expensive.

2. DVI will work with HDMI with just a cable, but it won' transfer sound since DVI does not do audio. You would need to transfer sound to the recorder via a standard 3.5 mm jack. DVI to HDMI cable that goes in to the recorder. Then an HDMI cable from the recorder to the TV should work.

4. It's only a hassle at first. Once you get better at the software you will eventually know how to balance the audio perfectly. Some software lets you perform macros which means only a few clicks and your video can be ready to go.

1. Indeed!

2. I use VGA, which is at the bottom with the graphics card. HDMI and DVI are further up. HDMI doesn't appear to work so not sure DVI will either. I also don't have a cable to try.

4. Yeah, but I'd have game audio and commentary/voice over audio in one so I'd have to separate them two of them after removing it from the video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users