Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I wasting my time with PhotoRec (Raw HDD Recovery)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeJerk

OfficeJerk

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

Cutting a long story short, my old internal HDD crashed and im trying to recover what ever I can from it. It isn't making any strange sounds, but the file system has become corrupt and RAW. It always returns I//O device errors when trying to acces the disk from explorer and many data recovery software cannot finish or start the scan due to being unable to read the data. (The correct HDD size and model shows up too in windows if I might add)

I read about PhotoRec being good for corrupt partition tables which have become RAW, so ive decided to give it a go. I managed to get through all the prompts and am now at a screen which appears to be searching or reading every sector on my HDD which is more than any other program ive tried could do.

Anyway my question is about the time being spent on this and whether there will be any benefit of me doing this? As you can see by the below image, it appears to be scanning but when I check the output folder that it asked me to create so it could save files there, all I see is a 'recup_dir.1' folder and when I click in, I only see 1 xml file named 'report' and its always at 0kb in size. If this is actually doing something in terms of trying to recover my data, im more than happy to wait weeks, ive left it running on an old desktop. But If the scan isn't really picking up any files, im going to simply abort the search and format my drive using quick format, then attempt data recovery software so I can at least access the drive in explorer.

I just need to know if PhotoRec is actually doing anything? Ive never used the software so im unsure how it works and what to expect.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Lm9hOmf

Edited by OfficeJerk, 19 September 2015 - 08:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

These verification programs can take an exceedingly long time to complete the process and compile the report.  Examining each collection of 8 or 16 bits, collecting the memory bit to help verify if the data is corrupt is all that happens during the exam.  Recovering the corrupted bytes can be difficult and often have to be discarded.  An old trick would be to examine the drive from the DOS prompt.

#3 OfficeJerk

OfficeJerk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

Hang on, so this scan is only generating a report and not recovering data?

I am now 7 hrs in and the screen looks exactly the same as my previous image that I posted apart form the read sectors count which is now at 11,335,357 as opposed to 2,246,367. The xml report is still at 0kb and 0 headers have been found....

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

PhotoRec is supposed to recover your files albeit with a different name but same extension. You have to open the file and rename the file accordingly. PhotoRec recovers files in real time so if you do not see any files in the folder listed for recovery after 7 hours then something is wrong.

When a disk is listed as RAW I usually try to see if I can access files with a linux disk called Parted Magic first. Sometimes linux will access the disk where Windows fails. Then TestDisk. If TestDisk cannot find any partitions then I would use PhotoRec. But according to your post of 7 hours with no results, the disk may be so corrupted you would need a professional data recovery service.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 10:36 PM

It would be interesting to see a report, that could define whether it is recoverable or not worth any further effort unless the piggy bank is full and it may still not return any results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users