Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 and possible trojan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fhstk

fhstk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:52 AM

I am new to forums and obviously this formum. I hope I am doing this right. My friend just got a new windows 10 computer. A notice came up saying that he had a virus with a notice to call a certain "geek" company. He did and for $99 they "fixed" it for him. He found 360 Security on his computer and the geek company install a Microsoft anti-virus. I have not been at his place yet to see the computer and collect exact data but I did do some on line research about the 360 Security and it seems to be a trojan. When I checked the "geek" company out online they seem to be legit. They have a number of Utube videos including some that show regular TV presentations on a local television station. What I don't understand is if this online geek company is legit how did it get its name and number to come up on his computer without being part of the original infection. I hope this is a legit forum topic.
tk

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 September 2015 - 09:50 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

Scammers use legitimate names of company's all the time

I have seen the following

Microsoft fake virus

Avast fake virus

FBI fake virus

Thats how they  opperate

What does He have as his real anti virus?

#3 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

That's indeed the sign of a bunch of filthy scammers. As Norseman said, they use legitimate names and domains all the time to improve authenticity, but in reality they're still the thieves they really are.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#4 fhstk

fhstk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

Just heard back from my friend. He unfortunately thought the virus protection was installed but it wasn't. He has a real computer expert coming tomorrow to correct the problem and has taken the necessary steps to protect credit cards etc. The scammers used support@go-geeks.us and merchant name GO GEEKS. Norseman143 was right in looking closer at the scammers format it is very similar to what I believe is a real legit company. http://www.gogeeks.tv/

The good news is that so far he is temporarily out $99 (plus the cost of tech guy)and not more serious issues. I also have learned that my recent purchase of a Dell with windows 7 pro on it instead of Windows 10 was a smart decision for me. It seems that Microsoft has some issues to work out. Thanks for your replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users