Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3D Builder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:21 PM

Not sure how many of you have investigated the 3D Builder.  It is very kewl & has oodles of potential both for fun-stuff & or work.

Insider Build 10547 is talking like it & the 3D Objects (folder) are new to it but, they are not.

To reach 3D Builder: Hit Win & type 3D Builder

To view the available items in 3D Objects: Hit Win & type 3D Objects

Enjoy!

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2015 - 07:32 AM.
Moved from Support to Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:27 AM

I use to play with it a couple of months ago but I lost inetrest. I don't think that I've messed with 3D Builder since the middle of June. I will mess with it again and see if anything has changed.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

Is it like Blender?

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:07 AM

I'm not sure what Blender is but 3 D Builder is a graphical game-like app that allows you to experiment with building and playing with various objects in 3 D space. It is fun but time consuming.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

Rocky Bennett, blender is a 3d modelling, grpahics, animation and rendering program (pls it has some functions which let you do rgeen screen like compositing of real video mixing with computer generated stuff). It's free and open source. I have been using it since about 2012 in combination with sketchup*, it is, in my opinion, a truly brilliant piece of software. You can get some extraordinary results using it (animations of almost blockbuster movie quality once you have a lot of skill with it and still images good enough to, in some cases, be indistinguishable from photographs)It takes ages to learn though and for those used to other 3d packages the interface might seem strangely different (In the same way that some people who've used photoshop may say about GIMP). It will run on most computers but for dealing with complex "high poly" models or getting fast render times a more powerful machine helps, but slower machines can still do this (only slower and with a little bit of freezing)

I had heard before, back in 2013 ish, that microsoft was planning to implement more 3d stuff into their operating systems, I can't say I know what 3d builder is like and what it does but the fact the 3d things are being built into operating systems is a good sign. It would be interesting to know how this new 3d builder thing relates and compares to other 3d programs, also whether it will import and export common formats like obj, dae and 3ds.

*because modelling in blender is trickier than modelling in sketchup, but blender can do all the rendering and animation where sketchup can only do modelling.

Edited by rp88, 20 September 2015 - 11:08 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:45 PM

Thanks, that really sounds interesting. I might look into that.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

Rocky bennett post #6:

You're interested in blender then? I can give you some advice about how to use it and some tips for getting to know the software. Have you ever used any 3d modelling programs before? Just so I can know what level of experience you might or might not already have. I can post you links to some old tutorials I made about the REAL BASICS of blender, that is to say the simplest beginner stuff necessary to know how to make an animation once you already have some mdoels to work with. Models can be downloaded from a wide range of sources on the internet, so you can look at how they are made to get an idea of how to go about making models for yourself. Also if you say what you want to do with blender (modelling/animation/rendering/video editing/a combination of those...)I can suggest what features you need to concentrate on and which aren't so relevant to you.

Edited by rp88, 22 September 2015 - 01:39 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users