Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's Up With Imageshack

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

What's Up With ImageShack

One of the favourite and easy to use hosts is ImageShack. Of course they have to make their money somehow or they wouldn't be able to provide a free hosting service, but seeing a few ads on the site that is serving the image is a small price to pay and something that I can cope with.

It's all getting a little more sinister than that now I'm afraid, a good friend and moderator at Computer Trouble reported that, after clicking on a thumbnail from ImageShack that had been posted at the forum, he got a pop up that he couldn't close and was subsequently infected with a couple of trojans. He wasn't the only one either, four other forum members reported problems too.

Update Here

Finally, I've been back to the images that were serving up the WinAntivirus download and they now seem to be clear. I don't know whether ImageShack have actually got rid of these ads or not. ...

Incidentally, when you are hit by a rogue advertisement or site, clicking the X in the upper right hand corner of the image doesn't do any good. A safer and more effective way of closing a window when you are in this situation is to press Alt + F4 this will close the active window without a mouse click.

Edited by Scarlett, 17 July 2006 - 12:13 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

Thanx for the heads up on that Scarlett. Also good advise for everyone about the safe way to close an active window.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:23 PM

Soooooooooooooo does this mean we're not allowed to use imageshack anymore?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

I just wouldn't post clickable thumbnails.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

Hm.. odd. I never had any problems like that before. I always trusted imageshack... guess I have to go back to Mulder's philosophy "Trust no one."

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

I am going to start using Posted Image
Photogiga.com
Its super easy to use,appears to be safe..and for me,who has problems posting images,thats a really good thing!
Couldn't resist posting the image that I uploaded,was just so surprised that I could actually post an image!! If anyone saw my posts on the "Favorite Ad-Aware Skin" thread,you know where I'm coming from!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

Absolutely gorgeous photo TMacK.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

Thanx rowal5555,
He can certainly bring a smile to your face!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users