Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selected MBR Instead of GPT When Win 7 Detected HD with data

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fish7491

fish7491

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

My primary Win 7 boot HD started showing error messages at start up stating it would fail soon. I copied all my files (docs, pics etc...) to a separate 3tb hard drive that was already installed in my desktop enclosure in a different slot. 

Replaced the bad drive and created a new C drive and reloaded all software. The new C drive didn't recognize the other 3tb drive I previously used as a back up. When I went into "diskmgmt" to select I accidentally clicked on MBR instead of GPT and lost the directory but still have the data. On the "diskmgmt" screen it shows this drive as invalid and when prompted to change to GPT it says all data will be erased so I stopped. 

I just used PhotoRec to recover all my pics and others files so I at least have that but will need to sort them back to the original folders.

The old "back Up" drive still functions so Is there a simple way to recover the file structure or should I used TestDisk? This option would allow me I hope to also retrive the old folders and avoid the need to sort through thousands of photos and docs to put them back in the right folders.

Before I do this is there a way I can copy this whole disk as is to another blank HD? Wanted to have a back up in case while working on recovering the directories I accidentally do something bad and can start over again.

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2015 - 09:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:12 PM

Did you format it in MBR? It doesn't seem like it would let you since MBR can't handle anything larger than 2TB. I would try booting your computer with some flavor of Linux, and then connect your HD and see if you can access your files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users