Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recover old windows os data files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 quisizyx

quisizyx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

Greets- I suspect that this has been addressed @ some point. I tried searching the forums but no joy. Surely this has been discussed B4. Must not have used the right key words.
Have a Windows7 laptop that died. In an attempt to recover some of the data files stuffed the old c: boot drive into a external USB case. Tried accessing the data files Windows8 machine but keep getting access denied. Knowing old drive root administrative password is no help. Suggestions?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 September 2015 - 06:42 PM.
Moved fromm Win 10 to 'Internal hardware'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quisizyx

quisizyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hmmm.... come to think of it there should be a brain dead simple solution. Hit the CMOS and change the boot order so that it boots the old drive in the USB case. Probably would get errors due to differences in hardware if not a BSOD, but could then copy files elsewhere. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. Should work, yes?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

Try taking ownership of the drive. Right click the external drive and follow option 4 in the below link.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2808-take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8-a.html#option4

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

G'day quisizyx, and Welcome to BC.

Good reading HERE  

As for your own suggestion in post#2....give it a go....

Others will no doubt chime in here with better knowledge of accessing via linux, than I have.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 quisizyx

quisizyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:59 PM

Try taking ownership of the drive. Right click the external drive and follow option 4 in the below link.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2808-take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8-a.html#option4

Huh! Looks interesting and appears that it could be better/cleaner way. Will try this. Thanx.

#6 quisizyx

quisizyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

G'day quisizyx, and Welcome to BC.

Good reading HERE  

As for your own suggestion in post#2....give it a go....

Others will no doubt chime in here with better knowledge of accessing via linux, than I have.

Erk.. heard about this Linux trick but indications were could be tricky. Have been wanting to put Ubuntu on several of my windows boxes but other thangs have had priority for my attention. Shouldn't be too bad as I used to work on several different Unix boxes years ago. Perhaps it is time to carve out space in the to-do list. Will have to go stare at this more.
Thanx 4 link.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

The first link here is for Linux Mint.....it is hugely popular ....get yourself a 8GB thumb drive, and load it onto that.

In that way you can give it a run any time you feel like. Be prepared for a dash of speed !

Also this will keep it away from your Windows installation. One day you may decide to partition your hard drive and have a "dual boot:" situation.....but for now, keep it simple and load it to a thumb drive.

You can get away with a 4GB thumb drive, but an 8gb gives you a bit more wiggle room.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Edited by Condobloke, 18 September 2015 - 09:20 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

Just wondering...is the above mentioning a bootable Puppy Linux DVD?  If so, yes, I have used same and was able to copy folders and files off of HD and onto external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users