Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to upgrade dell xps 600

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scientist28

Scientist28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

Okay I have posted this question before on other sites but have never felt like I got an adequate answer. I have a Dell Xps 600 which I got in 2004. However it seems for the past while that games that used to run smoothly all the sudden stutter for a few seconds. I used to be able to play test drive unlimited and would have smooth performance all the time but now when I'm driving the game switches back and forth from running smoothly then stuttering for a few seconds. How can I get the games to run like they used to? However this is tricky due to my situation which I will explain below

So I don't have the money for a new computer. I know that my motherboard is very limited in what cpu it will take so I can't upgrade it.

Somone suggested upgrading my ram and gpu but I don't know if that's the best option. I don't want to spend money on ram and gpu if it's the cpu that's slowing me down. I feel like since these components were capable of handling these games before that one of them is not able to process as fast as it did before.

My computer specs are

Cpu-Pentium D dual core processor 2.5 or 2.7 ghz
Chipset-Nvida Nforce 4 sli x16
Memory-2 gigs ddr2 ram
Graphics-Nvidia GeForce 6800

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:24 AM

If none of the components have failed and the unit is running properly, upgrading the memory will not help. First, you will not be upgrading the memory, just increasing the amount. If your programs ran properly for years on what you have, that is not the answer. GPU...same situation as I already mentioned.

More than likely you have something that is interfering with the program. The games are not crashing, they are lagging. Something is taking CPU clock cycles away from the proper operation of the game. The first suspicion is adware/spyware, then viruses.

Run Junkware Removal Tool, Adwcleaner and Ccleaner download from Here. Do not use any other utilities on that page, only those three. Let them remove anything they find.

Next, run Malwarebytes, download from Here. Use the in-depth scanner and allow it to remove anything it finds.

[EDIT]:  Afterthought:  Malwarebytes has the free edition which is excellent; during installation they offer a 30-day trial of their upgraded, retail version. Just deselect the checkbox, only install the free version.

See if that helps.

If no joy, post in the Malware removal section of BC for an analysis of any viruses that may be running in the background.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 September 2015 - 07:05 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Scientist28

Scientist28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for reply. I actually think I found the problem. I found out the both my cpu and gpu are overheating which might be causing them to throttle and causing games to stutter. With the gpu I noticed that the fan died which is attached to it, so that is probably why it is overheating.
With the cpu the fans seem to be working but someone suggested I reapply thermal paste as it may no longer be effective since Ive had this cpu so long. Hopefully that's all it is

Edited by Scientist28, 20 September 2015 - 07:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users