Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone have experience with Virtru?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 longtimebeginner

longtimebeginner

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

Good evening,

I am wondering if anyone can give me their opinion and experience with an email encryption product called Virtru which you can find at: www.virtru.com

Anyone who checks out the website will see the company has two ex-NSA operatives and an ex Whithouse staffer as founders, but despite that, my research to date points to the product being legit... I think...

We have found the product very easy to use and thats ultimately what we're after, an easy to use product that gives no excuse for users not using it!

I'd be happy to receive feedback from anyone who has either used this product or knows of something similar that they would recommend.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 willackerly

willackerly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Hi LTB!

I'm one of those ex-NSA'er / founders. If you have any questions feel free to ping me directly at will@virtru.com.  I'm glad you find our product easy to use, its my belief that usability has been the key gap to widespread adoption of strong cryptography.  We're working hard on making it better and would love any feedback you have.

In the mean time, if you haven't already, i encourage you to read our government surveillance FAQ.

https://www.virtru.com/faq-on-government-surveillance/

Will Ackerly

Virtru Founder and CTO

#3 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

Ive been using Protonmail for awhile, no complaints. Sounds like its similar to Virtru which Iam not familiar with.

https://protonmail.ch/security-details

https://protonmail.ch/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#4 longtimebeginner

longtimebeginner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:04 AM

Hello shelf life,

Thanks for the link to ProtonMail.  I've checked it out and it looks like a good product, although maybe not quite what I'm after for an enterprise wide solution.  I tried to sign up for a trial and it said 'we've reached capacity of our servers' so I'll need to wait until they have more capacity before I can check it out.

#5 longtimebeginner

longtimebeginner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:43 AM

Hello Will!

Being a suspicious person by nature, I'm not sure if I believe this response is genuinely from you, or a wind up from someone on this forum!

Over the last few days, I've used Virtru and have to say I'm really impressed at how easy it is to use, it is extremely impressive and has some great features (i.e. revoke and validity period).  There can't be any excuse for not encrypting emails now! 

The only issue I've experienced has been difficulty in getting it to work on my iPhone with my outlook account, but I know I need to get some settings from IT, so not really a problem with Virtru.  For now I am using Virtru with my gmal account on my iPhone - I understand that I can only use Virtru on one account at a time on my phone (for the moment), but it currently works across multiple accounts on my laptop. 

I would like to speak about a couple of issues, so will contact you directly.

Thanks

#6 Mannclann

Mannclann

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:37 PM

I recently started using Virtru after reading a couple articles on the software itself and the founder. So far it is easy to use and I like that. As to whether it is "really" secure, I am just not knowledgeable enough to say. So far what I have read is good. I have used Enigmail for a long time since I use Thunderbird as my mail client. I like it but find it a little clunky to set up and not so user friendly for my recipients.

#7 Rkaz

Rkaz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

Just started playing with Virtru and will likely switch to it, as all other options require too much work and knowledge on the part of the email recipient.

Weaknesses seem to be:
No Thunderbird support. Sorry, I need a local email client on multiple computers and don't want to pay Microsoft $100 plus per computer just to have Outlook on them.

Verification of the email recipient. They do have the recipient verify their email address before allowing them to decrypt. I wonder how secure this verification is. A digital certificate from a certifying authority does not appear to be needed for this step. It seems it might be the weak link in the system.

On the other hand, not having to require your recipients to exchange public keys and digital signatures means you can send encrypted email to anyone! Also,HIPPA compliance means we are at least doing our due diligence.

#8 devilsassassin

devilsassassin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:55 PM

I think I will check this out . Thank you all for the information and will be back later or earlier this morning with my couple of pennies.

#9 devilsassassin

devilsassassin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

I'm not to partial to the program but I can say it works well and is super user friendly . I will post more as soon as I have a better grasp on the program .

#10 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

The webpage says only the sender and the receiver have the keys to decrypt...

If that was/is the case, what could Virtru possibly surrender under a hypothetical court order anyway....?

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#11 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

The way I interpret all of this is: "We will fight hard for you, notify you, but, ultimately give you up if ordered to do so under warrant."

My take: look for something that fully encrypts data prior to transmission, it can easily be self-extracting notepad, etc....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#12 AFCTech

AFCTech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

I've used this program for a little while now and absolutely love it in comparison to the other encryption services that work with outlook. However lately it is starting to cause a few of the clients on my network to crash outlook. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this issue and can offer a fix before I have to go find something else. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users