Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall disable cortana

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

For me on here I can neither uninstall nor disable Cortana. If I end task in task manager it turns itself right back on.

It is not listed in the programs folder. I have even tried disabeling services associated with Cortana and they come right back on.

I really do not want this thing.  Sometimes I find it running using 50% cpu. What is it doing.

I do not have the resources to waste on a program I do not want or need.

I know this has been discussed before but I see a few posts that claim to have disabled it.

How are they doing it.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

See if doing the steps here helps.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2949759/windows/killing-cortana-how-to-disable-windows-10s-info-hungry-digital-assistant.html

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:47 PM

dannyboy950,

To disable Cortana please perform the following actions:

• Click the Search Bar
  • Click the Settings Gear Wheel in the top left corner of the Search Bar window
  • Click the Cortana activation toggle button so it is set to Off

You can review Microsoft's instructions to do this here.

Cortona is a Windows 10 integrated application and cannot be fully removed.1, 2

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

You can remove cortana using powershell and the steps shown by WernerCD here. But be warned, this will break your search function. Who knows, after another Windows 10 service update, it may put it back.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:03 PM

Tried modifying the power shell once before in another computer. No thanks I managed to kill the whole thing. lol

On here I have already unchecked everything dealing with cortana includeing disableing the cloud itself.

So why and what is it doing useing so much memory???

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

Not sure but Cortana sends your personal data back to Microsoft to improve searches.

Cortana is your personal assistant. Cortana works best when it can learn about you and your activities by using data from your device, your Microsoft account, third-party services and other Microsoft services. To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device. Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more. You can manage what data Cortana uses, and what it knows about you in Cortana Settings and Notebook. More about the individual features, and how to manage them can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=522360.

Location services. Cortana regularly collects and uses your current location and location history to give you the most relevant notices and results and to make suggestions that help save you time, such as traffic and location based reminders. Cortana can only work if location services are on, so if you turn them off, Cortana will be disabled.

Text messages and email. Cortana accesses your messages to do a variety of things such as: allowing you to add events to your calendar, apprising you of important messages, and keeping you up to date on events or other things that are important to you, like package or flight tracking. Cortana also uses your messages to help you with planning around your events and offers other helpful suggestions and recommendations.

Speech and Input Personalization. To help Cortana better understand the way you speak and your voice commands, speech data is sent to Microsoft to build personalized speech models and improve speech recognition. On Windows devices, Cortana can only work if Input Personalization is on, so if you turn it off, Cortana will be disabled. See the Windows Input Personalization section for more information.

Apps and services. Cortana uses data collected through other Microsoft services to provide personalized suggestions. For example, Cortana uses data collected by the MSN Sports app so it can automatically display information about the teams you follow. It also learns your favorite places from Microsoft's Maps app so it can offer better suggestions. Your interests in Cortana's Notebook can be used by other Microsoft services, such as Bing or MSN Apps, to customize your interests, preferences, and favorites in those experiences as well. Cortana also allows you to connect to third-party services for additional personalized experiences based upon information you shared with the third-party service. For example, choosing to sign into Facebook within Cortana allows Microsoft to access certain Facebook information so that Cortana and Bing can give you more personalized recommendations.

Browsing history. If you choose to send your full browsing history to Microsoft in Microsoft Edge (see the Microsoft Edge description in the Windows section of this statement), Cortana can provide suggestions based on the sites you visit in Microsoft Edge. Cortana won't collect information about sites you visit in InPrivate tabs.

Search history. Your Bing search queries - even if Cortana does the searching for you - are treated like any other Bing search queries and are used as described in the Bing section.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:13 PM

quote    Cortana can only work if location services are on, so if you turn them off, Cortana will be disabled.

Therefore...turn location Services off, and Cortana will be turned off automatically by Windows 10 itself.

Turn OFF location Services....3 options (in the third option , see "choose apps than can use your location")

HERE

HERE

HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

Actually all of that was turned off but there has been a windows update recently and everything was turned back on I turned everything too cleared the location history and it is still there.  Apparently every time windows is updated everything gets set back to windows defaults. Default for 10 is everything on.

It is still running in task manager but at least the used memory and cpu usage is cut almost in half.

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:56 PM

I have been reluctant to mess with the windows default account too muchthe last time I did windows became unstable and I was afraid I would loose the use of my last working PC.

Do you think that may be why I can not completely turn off cortana??

Since I do not allow sync I did not think that each account could inherit the settings of the others. Am I wrong in that to???

To me all this default shareing is too much like how botnets work.

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

Sometimes the experience would be  better, more pleasant, enjoyable, relaxed by people fretting over less, taking & using things 'as is'.  Just a thought... :)

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:33 PM

I am not using Cortant on my regular Win10... would mean changing Region to United States.  However, I am running it on my Insider Build by setting that to United States.  I am having a hard time w/ wanting to remove or disable it due the resource use since, it is using almost no resources, @ all.... demand by it on resources being very, very, little.

Update:

Now using Cortana in Build 10547 w/out changing to United States :)... as of today, for Insiders, it is available in Canada, Japan & Australia.

Later this year it will roll out to Brazil, Mexico & French Canada.

Edited by Drew1903, 19 September 2015 - 12:17 AM.

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:56 AM

Condobloke I have been remis in thanking your for the links[3] and have followed them to the letter,checking afterwards.

It is still running in task manager. If I end task it will turn itself back on in a few seconds. If I stop its processe they will turn back on, if I turn of anything remotely associated with it they will turn back on.

You are not meant to kill Cortana apparently. And you can't uninstall it. Not on a microsoft account or even a local machine account.

Edited by dannyboy950, 21 September 2015 - 06:56 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:23 PM

You cannot kill the cortana process with Task Manager as it respawns as you have found out. The only way to kill it completely is using Powershell but that does not always meet with success as you know. Welcome to Windows 10 as a service.

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

OUUUCCCHHHHH

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

And there is no guarantee that cortana would be reinstalled after a WIndows 10 service release. One is coming in November and a major one in 2016 called Redstone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users