Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 not many programs written to for win 10 yet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:00 PM

I am finding out that not a lot of programs and applications have not been written for WIN 10 yet. Too new I guess.

Most programs I am finding are written for up to win 7.

For example both Libre Office and open office are for WIN 7, since the architecture of 7 and 10 are close.

Libre and open office will work sort of. For me some parts work well and others not so much.

Another example is the templets, those that are available were written for win7, most templets are written by users, so not many templets have been created  with 10 yet.

Guess I need to use a little common sense and give people some time.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:21 PM

Well, dannyboy950 -- all my old programs work in Win10.  I needed DOSbox to run my DOS programs like Lotus 1-2-3 for Dos (version 2.01), but Lotus 9.8.2 for Windows worked okay, so did MS Office 2003 Professional, TuneUp (which is updated for Win10, so maybe I shouldn't count it), etc.  Common old programs. The only hassle I have yet is finding a video onscreen recording program that works, and I've not yet tried to install Bibleworks 9 on it, to see if it can handle the mss facsimilies.  But it should be okay.  Firefox, VLC, MS Works (I think), ZtreeWin and all my other programs which work in Win7 and XP, work in Win10 64-bit.  Which frankly surprises me.  This is the first time I've ever been comfortable running 64-bit Windows.

Now, folks have reported problems with Visio and a wide variety of other programs, particularly anti-virus and backup (I didn't test Macrium Reflect Free with Win10, nor EaseUS nor Acronis).  Windows says it doesn't want any other anti-malware but its own on Win10 (I forget where I read that in the MS documentation, but I think it's also in Settings for protection, but you should be able to Google).  So maybe that's why.

Edge is awful, IE doesn't work at all, but Firefox and presumably Chrome, work just fine. I got rid of the ads by disabling search to include the web, and took our own BC's Rocky Bennett's genius suggestion to make Google my home page for Edge to get rid of the ads there.

My results are based on build 10240 which activated mid-July, with updates for about a week after that.  I stopped using Win10 then.  Seems like the download version everyone not Insider got, is very different, for the problems reported are quite strange and varied.  For example, I could immediately clean install to a new partition, but the download version requires you first overwrite your existing Windows before you are allowed to do a clean install -- which historically, is a sure-fire way to bork your installation (though it might work, the results are unpredictable).  So in short, my results might be very atypical, since I used an Insider build which clearly was more 'clean'.

Does this info help?  Yell at me if not, and I'll try to do better.

Edited by brainout, 19 September 2015 - 09:28 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

dannyboy, you are correct, but fortunately just about any program written for Windows for the last 20 years work just fine in Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

So far I have not found on here yet where you can run legacy device/programs. I assume you can do this in 10 as well I just have not found it yet.

What I do find interesting is how much stuff for 32 bit will run on 64 bit. Most sytinternal tools are actually 32bit programs but most will work on 64 bit systems. At least they do for me.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:26 AM

Well, dannyboy, I think the point is that if it works in Win7 or 8.1, it's supposed to work in Win10.  The difference is, you cannot have those programs installed BEFORE installing Win10.  That same problem was true ever since XP.  64-bit can't install over 32-bit programs.  But 32-bit programs can be installed onto 64-bit OS.  I am really surprised how easily the old stuff runs on Win10, but in my lifetime I would NEVER install it over a prior Win OS.

So the 'free' option, which requires you DO install over an existing Win7/8.1 OS, is of no value and much headache.  Pity so many are finding that out the hard way.  Bigger pity, that MSFT wants so badly to overwrite the old and BETTER license, to replace it with a hitlerian one (highlights here are to the original MSFT text links, which are in every Win10's machine Windows\System32\license.rtf, bearing in mind that the 'aka.ms/' are also links you must paste into a browser, to read).  So you are likely to get a borked install along with your horrible new license.

Else, the OS has a lot to recommend it.

Edited by brainout, 21 September 2015 - 04:26 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users