Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WLAN became extremely insensitive/limited range

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

I bought a brand new laptop, HP17 G053US from Office Depot. It came with OEM installed Win8.

It was working fine, no problem with using the wireless card. I can not quantify the signal strength received, other than to say it was 3 of 5 bars, same as an adjacent laptop.

I have since reinstalled Win8.1 Pro x64. The WLAN now no longer detects any signals from any wireless routers/modems. Zero of five bars (while adjacent laptop still shows 3 of 5).

I loaded the drivers in sequence BIOS, chipset, then WLAN. To no avail.

Is there some way to adjust the sensitivity of the WLAN?

(had some trouble posting the image)

I suspect there may be some way through Device Manager Advanced Properties of the WLAN?

Also noticed that there are a few unrecognized devices - perhaps one of those may be related...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:40 AM

I have since reinstalled Win8.1 Pro x64.

Why didn't you simply upgrade to Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store?

Where did you download the drivers for the LAN?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:21 AM

I am not sure what "windows store" is. I wanted to do a clean install.

I downloaded the driver from HP, at a page dedicated to this particular laptop:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-17-g000-Notebook-PC-series/7771368/model/8429740#Z7_3054ICK0KGTE30AQO5O3KA30R1

Information from HP:

Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Drivers

Version:2023.5.130.2015 Rev.A

However, after I have installed it, the properties page from device manager shows:

Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 5/31/2013

Driver Version: 6.30.223.102

So it seems that perhaps the installation attempt was actually not successful (?)

I would like to do a manual install of the driver, but not sure how to do it. I have decompressed the file from HP - do I simply drop the dll in system32?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:41 AM

The following instructions are from the HP Support Center.

1. Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved). 

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. 

3. If a message box titled Program Compatibility Assistant is displayed after the installation is complete, click This program installed correctly. 

4. Restart the computer after the installation is complete. 

NOTE: Remove the previous driver before installing new driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

Yes, I have done this several times, including removing the current driver immediately before. But I keep getting the same result, as described.

I visited the Realtek site, and searched for the driver there, but it doesn't seem available.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:00 AM

HP drivers or any other OEM drivers should be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

Are you getting any error message when you try to install the drivers?

If you are, please post exactly what they say.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

I am not sure why you show a broadcom chip after installing the Realtek driver. Can you confirm the chipset? Right click your wireless adapter in Device Manager, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#8 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

Upon completing the (uninstall and) installation, it just flashes a quick message "finished", though within the device manager, the device appears again, so I am not completely sure whether it was a successful install or if the Windows default driver was installed. The broadcom info makes me suspect that it is the windows default.

Hardware IDs as follows:

PCI/VEN_14E4&DEV_4365&SUBSYS_804A103C&REV_01

PCI/VEN_14E4&DEV_4365&SUBSYS_804A103C

PCI/VEN_14E4&DEV_4365&CC_028000

PCI/VEN_14E4&DEV_4365&CC_0280

I have been searching and finding lots of posts by unhappy customers of the realtek products, this RTL8188EE product in particular. Some have had some success with a particular down-rev driver, I might give that a try.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

According to the vendor and device ID it's a Broadcom 43142 chipset, not realtek. Unfortunately you have to use the driver supplied by HP as broadcom does not supply wireless drivers. 

The only broadcom driver I found for 8.1 64bit is here. If you decide to install it I would at least create a system restore point and a recovery drive on USB. You can download the driver and extract the files from the exe file using winrar or 7zip. Look in the inf file for your Vendor and DeviceID along with the Subsystem number. If they are in the inf then the driver should work.

#10 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I extracted it and checked the inf file, and unfortunately,

it did not contain matching Hardware ID numbers.

But still, the suggestion of checking the Hardware ID numbers was very good. And how to check the INF file.

I had been searching for and downloading several other potential fix drivers, and now have checked the inf files of each.

I came up with one from an HP support thread which has a match (Hardware ID, within the inf file, at least, and under win8 x64). Not sure yet about vendor (Broadcom is indicated though) and subsystem number. I'm going to give it a try...

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

If you still have trouble finding a driver or wireless is still bad then I would recommend a USB dongle like this one. It has drivers that support 8.1. Edimax makes another.

#12 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:25 AM

I tried the driver and it was rejected as win 8 x64 is not supported, guess I don't know how to interpret the inf file very well. Strange that even though win 8 is 3 years old that there is no driver for this particular Broadcom device.

Also strange that HP provides a RealTek driver (that won't install).

I was looking through HP support forums and they are overwhelmed with customers having similar problems. An HP rep revealed that some of their products only use one antennae, and that this condition (of extremely limited/non-existent range) is not due to some manufacturing defect, implying that it should be expected.... unbelievable  - at least its one hell of a serious design flaw.

The puzzling thing, though, is that with the OEM installed OS, the wlan did have range comparable to other devices in my home. So they must have some work-around in their manufacturing process to get it to work (at least temporarily). I'll continue to attempt to get it from HP. 

And in the mean time, I might try one of those dongle devices you suggest. Now I am wondering whether or not the integrated  bluetooth will have the same issue.,,

Thanks for your help.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

I agree with JohnC_21.  I've been using a Edimax EW-7811Un N150 for several years now.  You can purchase this adapter from Newegg for $9.23 with free shipping.

#14 jfirthsouth

jfirthsouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

Good News...

HP Support has actually been good to me so far.

One of their reps provided a driver that works for my particular device.

The laptop is capable of finding wifi networks again.

Haven't had the chance to use it enough to comment about speed / reliability yet, but this is a great start.

The rep also noted that I would need a differnt bluetooth driver and provided a link to that as well. It installed fine, yet to be tested out.

Probably what contributed to their expedient reply was the suggestions I got from you guys on this forum... Thanks!

If anyone else has the same broadcom device running 8.1m you can get the correct drivers here.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for this update. Nice of HP support to provide you with the driver. I wonder why it's not on the support site?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users